When Will or Did you Retire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
He's going early. He knows he'll get a reduced pension and lump sum - but even that will be significantly larger than most people's pensions. He also owns three properties, including one in a very desirable area of London.
And you plan to keep working...you must have a very exotic lifestyle indeed to support!

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Some good insights reading through these posts. For me the prospect of retirement is a bit daunting because working is all I've known. Gap years were not invented when I was a student, so like many of my generation I have always worked (or studied) for as long as I can remember.

One other thing I'm wondering is how many people sold their houses (for whatever reason) and moved elsewhere as part of their retirement plan? Just wondering how that worked out.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I am hoping to retire when I reach the age of 59, in March 2017. I will of been at my present job for over 42 years, and although because of the way the pension scheme worked I will only have been in it for 34 years, (you joined automatically on your 25th birthday as the scheme was a 40 years scheme based on the retirement age being 65).
I will take a bit of a drop in the payout, 4% for every year you go early, but I think my time has been done and I shall cycle off and enjoy myself.
Well, thats the plan anyway.:bicycle:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Some good insights reading through these posts. For me the prospect of retirement is a bit daunting because working is all I've known. Gap years were not invented when I was a student, so like many of my generation I have always worked (or studied) for as long as I can remember.

One other thing I'm wondering is how many people sold their houses (for whatever reason) and moved elsewhere as part of their retirement plan? Just wondering how that worked out.

Retiring and moving house to pocket the money- That's an interesting one.
The people we bought from purchased a house in Deeping St James in the flatlands. They bought an identical house to what they'd sold us... for £100,000 less! They had retired and spend their time caravanning. I think they've gone on to be site wardens, so no retirement really. (they just have a posher van!)

My wife knows a lady who moved from Cambridge to Cornwall, her old mans idea. She truly hates it and is desperately sad.

My mum knows of several people who moved to Spain in the 80's and 90's and came back after a few years to the area they'd always lived. I guess if it's in you, then it's in you.

I envisage we'll move from here.

PaulSB

Squire
Thinking of the posts re selling up and moving after taking value from the property.

I know a number of people who have done this and to be honest it leaves me baffled. After 33 years in the same house many of our closest friends are immediate neighbours. We have supported each other for all this time. Why would we want to leave our friends just when we have more time together and might, but hopefully not, need even more support.

Two examples here, of one couple in our immediate close circle who moved 200 miles primarily on the husband's wishes. On retiring moved almost immediately, various issues resulted in significant financial problems surrounding the move, to solve this one has had to return to work and they have had to sell up again and move in to a suburban 3 bed semi, a far cry from their previous properties. Nothing wrong with 3 bed suburban properties but a huge change from rural living for 35 years. The wife is deeply unhappy with the huge change late in life.

Another example of a friend whose wife has terminal cancer. He commented a few weeks ago that they had always appreciated the support of our circle but only now truly understood how much it means when things go wrong.

screenman

Legendary Member
Paul, you live in a very different part of the country than we do, and I can understand your views. It would not be like that with our neighbours that is for sure. They will take like mad, they will certainly not give though.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'm hoping when we retire and move to Spain, we will become part of a community and make lots of friends as we have never had much time to do that while working. We will have time and will make an effort to integrate, learn the language and live in a mixed community but mainly Spanish.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
67 officially & according to Mr David Camera-On & his merry band of theives.

Local Government worker, that is possibly until the next round of cuts.
Having suffered the higher contributions for less return change in our pension scheme, again brought on by the Tories, I expect to have a very small pot to P!$$ in come retirement.

I hope to unofficially retire at 60 & cut my cloth accordingly.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My thoughts on retirement are this---
1, you must have some idea of what you are going to do with your days. It is no good not having a reason to get out of bed.
2, Have a project or something to keep your mind active, i.e as this forum is cycling based, join a club like the over forties cycling club for instance. Many midweek rides as well as weekend rides.
3 Keep active, no matter what your hobby or activity is.

Top Bottom