What's your "go-to" sandwich?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Some horseradish sauce would work well with that.
If you can get hold of horseradish root, wash, grate, steep in the vinegar of your choice, let it fester for at least six months, then you'll have something that blows all commercially made horseradish sauces out of the water - ! :eek: :laugh:

newts

Veteran
If you can get hold of horseradish root, wash, grate, steep in the vinegar of your choice, let it fester for at least six months, then you'll have something that blows all commercially made horseradish sauces out of the water - ! :eek: :laugh:

My mum used to make up something similar from a clump of horseradish in the garden. There was also a poultice that she made similar to deapheat as a muscle rub that'd make you sweat & tingle.

Wonder if that classifies as a phobia - ? :laugh:

It has occurred to me that it might be psychological

simongt

Guru
Apparently turophobia was only identified / classified between 2005 - 2010. :eek:
Wonder how many other phobias have yet to be identified / classified - ? :whistle:

icowden

Veteran
My go to is a ham sandwich. Plain and simple. Bread, butter and ham.

Alternatives for me are philadelphia, pastrami or any german / italian / spanish cured meats. If I want to go sweet then lemon curd or honey works well. I really don't like mixing my sandwich fillings, although I don't mind if instead of a sandwich it's a panini (another pet hate is buying a panini somewhere like Starbucks and being asked if I want it heated - IT'S A PANINI. If I didn't want it heated it would be a sandwich)

One of my firm rules in life re sandwiches is simplicity. The other is that mayonnaise should never be allowed near a sandwich.
It baffles me that almost all shop bought sandwiches are made with mayonnaise instead of butter. WHY?!!
Even more baffling is that M&S make a chicken no-mayo sandwich. But with egg-free dressing rather than butter. Again WHY?!!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd have Hellmans mayo with pretty much anything savoury, but other mayos are not very nice. Especially Heinz. Some supermarket own brands can be ok and are of course much cheaper. I'm now craving a beetroot, cheese and mayo sandwich. Haven't had one in years

Heinz Mayo looks just like white emulsion paint

And tastes like it's got sugar in it.

if you want a tangy, well-seasoned mayo, then I highly recommend Majonez Kielecki from the Polish aisle in most supermarkets - admittedly not the cheapest at £1.65 a jar, but way better than the vast majority of (tasteless) UK offerings. Comes in a 310ml jar with a yellow label and a bright green lid.

Top Bottom