What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mentioned doing this one a while back, so here goes.
Bottom bracket bearing replacement, inspired by RJ the Bike Guy over on the tube.
This particular BB was running as rough as, well, don't no what really.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The non drive side cup pops off easy enough, but the drive side need a few taps with the rubber persuader

3.jpg

The spindle is held firmly, and a lot of tapping needed to get the first bearing off. The spacer pushes out of the way enough for access.

4.jpg

Second bearing like so. Again, lots of tapping and it eventually gives way.

5.jpg

So here we are, all disassembled.

6.jpg

Here's the second bearing going on (sorry, forgot to photo the first one). A socket is used so as all the hammering is to the inner race.

7.jpg

I've not put the cups back on as you can see. On most BB's, one side of the spindle sticks out more than the other. This gives you two choices when deciding which side to have each cup, and so two different chain lines.

These are just unbranded bearings, so no idea of quality or longevity.
Most of my builds are done on the cheap, and often recycled into other projects, so nothing fancy needed.
That's it for this one, it'll go back in the BB tub, ready for a future project.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1
Fitted new bearings to the Chariot trailer's wheels. Quite impressed with the Park Tool hub bearing press tool. All the bushings are metric though, so had to take some care with the slightly larger imperial bearings. New tyres and tubes also fitted. Just need to vacuum out the mud/grit that's left in the trailer and take it for a test ride tomorrow.

I was hoping to start on one of the other bicycle related projects - either the folder (Carrera Intercity) or properly assessing the abused Trek 7.2FX, but seems I've run out of spare time today.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Heigh ho. Ditto front wheel (that was easy) barring a bit more work on the spokes required. Several had rusted, but look fine after a scrubbing with wire wool and 3-in-1 and a wipe with the Oily Rag (tm).
Cables fitted with a drop of oil down the outers for luck, gear outers taped to the bars, wheels trued, tyres inflated and out for a test ride. Seems to work, and more importantly, stop. Bar tape next!

Bar tape? Pshaw! Why not do a bit of ‘snagging’ while contemplating the relative merits of electrical tape, cheap foam tape and foam grips? Spending the time instead finding the front and rear brake pads could do with adjusting, the front mech refuses to drop the chain in and the cable retaining bolt won’t hold the cable. So, spray oil and a good working on the pivots (ooh, err), rummage in the bolt jar for a bigger retaining bolt to tap in, and give it overnight to soak before deciding whether a replacement mech is needed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
new cables for the brakes on the commuter which was easy enough but i noticed the front rotor was slightly warped which i only noticed due to shining a torch in the gap as the wheel spun , this might be causing the ticking noise i can hear so i thought " yea i can sort that" and promptly made it worse so i will get a replacement tomorrow .

Apologies for the bad photo. It's a snip from some heavily compressed video.
Greased the hub bearings on the trailer (to provide some protection from water ingress) and re-assembled it. Attached the hitch to the Robert Axle Project thru-axle. Attempted to attach the trailer but found I couldn't insert the pin that secures the hitch to the towing arm because it fowled the bottom of the rear rack. Sadly can't insert it the other way - and to be honest, I'd rather have gravity on our side. So much for tool-less hitching/unhitching. Fashioned a rear mudflap out of an empty plastic milk bottle and attached with duct tape.

Our first bike adventure went off without a hitch (pardon the pun). 2 km on the long route to the park. 1 km coming back the short way. I was told off for not taking the long way home.

Was hoping to get onto one of the other projects this afternoon, but a couple of hours entertaining the smol hooman has done me in. Hopefully I'll have a bit more stamina next weekend - she wants to go to the supermarket to buy some orange juice so she can bring it back in the trailer!

1728835004581.png

A new cassette and chain came today and the hub of my old wheel is on the way out so I stuck them on my spare wheel. Its a tubeless rim and had a tubeless tyre on it so i set it up as tubeless. Its a commuting bike so I'm not convinced about tubeless but its staying solid but I'll have to top the sealant up when I get more its leaked a bit before it sealed. It could be a last minute tube change if it fails to hold air overnight and removing a tubeless tyre can be a pain, they're a breeze to refit though :-/

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Replaced original OEM 2D mesh seat with a more weatherproof Ventisit version on my recumbent.

IMG_0638.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

Punkawallah

Über Member
Bar tape? Pshaw! Why not do a bit of ‘snagging’ while contemplating the relative merits of electrical tape, cheap foam tape and foam grips? Spending the time instead finding the front and rear brake pads could do with adjusting, the front mech refuses to drop the chain in and the cable retaining bolt won’t hold the cable. So, spray oil and a good working on the pivots (ooh, err), rummage in the bolt jar for a bigger retaining bolt to tap in, and give it overnight to soak before deciding whether a replacement mech is needed.

THE END IS NIGH!
It transpires that the Campag front mech is banjaxxed, on account of its pivots having more wobble than a table of jellies and a spring which doesn’t. So, replaced with a Shimano from the shop scrap pile ; tick, tick, tick. Came down on the side of electrical tape bar tape, in fetching black, and a couple of mismatched bar plugs from the Pit of Despair.
So here it is, Raleigh Reynolds 501 something; Shimano 200 front, 300 rear, mechs; Campagnolo brazed -on down tube shifters; Suntour Perfect 14-24 5 speed block; Custom 52-40 chain set; what look like Modolo Mach 1 callipers and levers; unbranded alloy stem/bars; unbranded saddle and alloy post; Pelissier hubs; Michelin Select 70lc x 25 tyres. At one time someone’s criterion rocket, now up and running again. Destined to be given away as a ‘work bike’, as it surely will not sell.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpeg
    IMG_1132.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom