What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds like my garage, I appear to have amassed more spare mudguards than you can shake a stick at.

I think I blindly followed the advice "will fit up to 28mm tyre / will fit up to 38mm tyre"

Yes they may be big enough for the tyre but not for very compact caliper brakes as the caliper squeezes the mudguard down on to the tyre!!

My latest build the front clearance is so tight I can't get anything under the fork with25 mm tyres

Chislenko

Veteran
My latest build the front clearance is so tight I can't get anything under the fork with25 mm tyres

You have my sympathy, my now ten year old Orbea originally came with 23mm, will just about take 25mm but nothing more. Absolutely no chance of getting a mud guard in there, especially with the diddy Ultegra calipers.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I replaced the very odd chrome seatpost on my 1986 Halfords folder. It was odd because its diameter varied along its length. I think it had been overtightened at various points along it's length to the extent that it reduced the diameter by about 1mm in places.

The replacement is machined alloy from ETC and is about 50mm longer. It feels much more secure.

Last edited:
Not sure to be honest. It’s these ones with metal fixings at the caliper and then brackets at the end of the stays.

Attachments

• IMG_6565.jpeg
    IMG_6565.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 9

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very minor fettle of the Colnago CX bike. It's carrying me round The Mad Manc on Sunday (130 miles 10,000ft climbing) so I final check of the road wheels, indexing and adjusting the canti pads. Gave it a thorough "Mr Sheen", and it's looking 'smashing'. Garmin out front mount fitted so I can get to the charge port, small Anker battery pack purchased that will be taped to the stem, so I can just press the power button to juice up the Garmin. Not so sure My Edge Explore will last 10 hours.

Chislenko

Veteran
Very minor fettle of the Colnago CX bike. It's carrying me round The Mad Manc on Sunday (130 miles 10,000ft climbing) so I final check of the road wheels, indexing and adjusting the canti pads. Gave it a thorough "Mr Sheen", and it's looking 'smashing'. Garmin out front mount fitted so I can get to the charge port, small Anker battery pack purchased that will be taped to the stem, so I can just press the power button to juice up the Garmin. Not so sure My Edge Explore will last 10 hours.

I had never heard of that ride but looks tough, "enjoy" the day!

Windle

Über Member
Re-set the front mech on the Univega, which last night made me ride up a ruddy great 'ill in the middle ring. The Campag Xenon brifters I'd used when I converted the MTB to drop bars had always had a dodgy front mech shift lever, occasionally working or not. When I put them on the Univega it was only allowing two rings worth of shifts and for some reason I'd set it up to get the middle (obviously) and big ring. Recently it wasn't even getting onto the big ring, but once fettled I can now achieve granny ring & middle ring, which is enough as I don't intend to do any club '10's on it :laugh:.

EckyH

Tried to de-squeal the front brake (Campagnolo Mini V) and front wheel (rim is a Campagnolo Omega Strada Hardox) combination on the Enik Makalu. The brake booster improved the brake performance remarkably, but didn't do anything in the noise departement. After swapping the front wheel with the front wheel of the Langschenkelrenner (rim: Rigida DP18), the squealing is effectively gone. Seemingly the new front wheel I built yesterday wasn't a bad idea. To ease brake adjusting and taking out the wheels I replaced the fixed length Avid pipes with adjustable ones made by Jagwire.

E.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Merida Cyclo-Cross commuter has had a rare clean. The tyres are looking worn so will be changed in the next month or so.

I also put some new GP5000 tyres onto the new Velo-Cité 50mm carbon road wheelset I picked up last August, plus a Dura-Ace cassette and took them on my morning club ride. They seem decent enough and will be a more budget spare to the nice 58mm DT Swiss wheelset I have. I'd have not paid the £699 retail price, nor the £550 sale price but at £265 delivered for ex-display, with skewers / spare spokes / carbon brake pads they're fine.

Top Bottom