What ‘One does it all’ bike……

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
What sort of distance are you thinking of? I prefer drop bar my self; 90% of the time I'll ride upright like you would on a flat bar bike (on the hoods) but with distance, I'll mix it up and be on the hoods/flat/drops its more comfortable on the hands/back. I'd rather have that choice. Its also good being to hunker down when there's a bit of a wind (on hoods with a drop of the elbows or in the actual drops). I like the drop of the elbows in traffic as drivers seem to be more alert to a change in my body position when I straighten the elbows and move upright.

I’m currently typically doing approx 30 mile rides. I’d like to stretch that to perhaps 50 miles. (?) Maximum. And probably fairly rarely at that max distance. I’ve had a few road bikes. And one ‘Gravel’ type bike - on drops.
So my Sons Hybrid is the first bike I’ve ridden on the road on flat / slight riser bars over any distance.

I’m 52, a big guy and I’m aware my frontal area sitting upright is significant ! However I’m not looking to break any records (Currently average right around 15mph or a little over at best on a typical ride) - and more importantly; have felt comfortable during; and after these rides in this upright riding position.

I would also like to have a bike I could use for something more like MTB’ing in Winter on some more tight / technical tracks / paths. So the wider flat / riser bars and upright position is attractive if only having one bike…..

I’m currently typically doing approx 30 mile rides. I’d like to stretch that to perhaps 50 miles. (?) Maximum. And probably fairly rarely at that max distance. I’ve had a few road bikes. And one ‘Gravel’ type bike - on drops.
So my Sons Hybrid is the first bike I’ve ridden on the road on flat / slight riser bars over any distance.

I’m 52, a big guy and I’m aware my frontal area sitting upright is significant ! However I’m not looking to break any records (Currently average right around 15mph or a little over at best on a typical ride) - and more importantly; have felt comfortable during; and after these rides in this upright riding position.

I would also like to have a bike I could use for something more like MTB’ing in Winter on some more tight / technical tracks / paths. So the wider flat / riser bars and upright position is attractive if only having one bike…..
50 miles is probably on the edge of the benefit of multiple hand positions. Don't worry about setting records, good luck!

gzoom

Über Member
I’m 52, a big guy and I’m aware my frontal area sitting upright is significant ! However I’m not looking to break any records (Currently average right around 15mph or a little over at best on a typical ride)..

15mph average speed would be 'perfect' eBike territory. I've literally done my first ride 'off-road' in about 2 decades this weekend when I put some 38mm tires on the Creo. I'm amazed how something as simple as tire changes totally changes what the bike can do off road. The Creo has clearances of up to 40mm+ plus I think.

I'm now in the process of sourcing some 40mm deep 'aero' wheels to put the road tires on, and considering moving to an electronic shifter to remove one of the cable runs for a 'cleaner' (more areo) look.

Swapping between who wheelset with hydraulic disc brakes and thrule axles seems much easier than in the past with QR skewers/rim brakes.

The Creo is an expensive bit of kit, but having 2 wheelesets, one for road one for off-road makes it nearly an 'All-in-one' bike. Interestingly it also has mudguard/pannier mounting points.....so it could in theory take over commuter duties too....but I'm not sure I'm mentally ready to 'ruin' the smooth lines/frame with a mudguards+rack :smile:.

Plenty of drop bar gravel focused road bikes these days I suspect will be similarly versatile.

53856106608_c9d6756de1_c_d.jpg

53857935276_e2594fdcaf_c_d.jpg

gp__0616-jpg.jpg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I bought a Sonder Frontier a couple of years ago now, it's a really nice bike. I went for the suspension forks though, Rockshox Recon, with SRAM NX Eagle drivetrain. So far it's been more than good enough for me, I've ridden it at local bike parks and all over the heathland here. I've also taken it bikepacking in the Swiss Alps amongst other places.

Overall it's a really nice bike, which to be honest I've not actually touched or felt the need to upgrade anything beyond the Saddle, Grips and pedals. The design is not quite as progressive as more modern mountain bikes, the bottom bracket is really high and the reach quite short. at 5'10 ish I went for the medium frame and to be honest I do wonder if it isn't a little small. I would love to try a Large out of curiosity, but here in Germany there are no Sonder dealers.

Is it the one bike that can do it all? for me not, but that's because my Kona Sutra LTD is a little more versatile. That said, a set of different wheels with skinnier tires, or just swap the 62mm tires for 42mm or so and along with rigid front forks, this could be a good versatile choice.

P1010957.JPG

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
15mph average speed would be 'perfect' eBike territory. I've literally done my first ride 'off-road' in about 2 decades this weekend when I put some 38mm tires on the Creo. I'm amazed how something as simple as tire changes totally changes what the bike can do off road. The Creo has clearances of up to 40mm+ plus I think.

I'm now in the process of sourcing some 40mm deep 'aero' wheels to put the road tires on, and considering moving to an electronic shifter to remove one of the cable runs for a 'cleaner' (more areo) look.

Swapping between who wheelset with hydraulic disc brakes and thrule axles seems much easier than in the past with QR skewers/rim brakes.

The Creo is an expensive bit of kit, but having 2 wheelesets, one for road one for off-road makes it nearly an 'All-in-one' bike. Interestingly it also has mudguard/pannier mounting points.....so it could in theory take over commuter duties too....but I'm not sure I'm mentally ready to 'ruin' the smooth lines/frame with a mudguards+rack :smile:.

Plenty of drop bar gravel focused road bikes these days I suspect will be similarly versatile.

View attachment 737656

View attachment 737657

View attachment 737658

Thanks for your thoughts. That is one great looking steed. The middle picture is particularly stunning 🥰

Yes……the two wheelset route is / was (?) firmly on my radar. It got kind of poo-poo’d on the notion I may have problems with misaligned gears etc. And it might not be a straightforward swap and go….

You’ve lost me slightly with the “15mph would be perfect e-bike territory” statement though 🤷‍♂️

vickster

Legendary Member
You’ve lost me slightly with the “15mph would be perfect e-bike territory” statement though 🤷‍♂️

I guess on an e-bike if you want to go 15mph everywhere, you would barely need to break a sweat on a bike limited to 15.5mph assisted :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Me too!!

You are already managing to do the speed where a motor would be cutting out so either you would have to slow down or stick at 15 mph and let the motor give you help that you apparently do not need. :wacko: (As pointed out by @vickster while I was typing!)

Uphill though... Yes, handy there! :okay:

gzoom

Über Member
Yes……the two wheelset route is / was (?) firmly on my radar. It got kind of poo-poo’d on the notion I may have problems with misaligned gears etc. And it might not be a straightforward swap and go….

I'm about press the button on a set of 40mm deep carbon 'aero' wheels for the Creo, thrule axles and hydraulics disc brakes makes changing wheelsets are easier as everything is much better aligned.

With eBikes the motor cuts off at 15mph, on the road the motor on my eBikes are on less than 20% of the time (hills), but off road getting to 15mph even on the flat doesn't seem that easy, mainly due to need to navigate rocks, drops etc. Mountain bikers started the eBike craze and I can see why, been able to get up really short sharp climbs on loss gravel etc is much easier with an eBike than doing it your self!

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Me too!!

You are already managing to do the speed where a motor would be cutting out so either you would have to slow down or stick at 15 mph and let the motor give you help that you apparently do not need. :wacko: (As pointed out by @vickster while I was typing!)

Uphill though... Yes, handy there! :okay:
Ha !

**I'm a big guy riding bolt upright on a cheap hybrid. And averaging nearly 16mph on upto 30 mile'ish rides. I think thats ok (?). The offset is because i'm the best part of 15 1/2 stone on a bad day - Strava suggests i'm burning waaaaaay more calories and having to use way more effort than others around me doing the same. You could also see that as a good thing.....

Ultimately; I'm not trying to break time records. And cycle for exercise / to get the heart racing a bit - and because i plain flat-out; bloody enjoy it. I don't feel the need to be tucked down / get a lighter bike / lose a stone to shave a few seconds or minutes off my ride. I'm actively trying to look around me, take the World in - and enjoy the process. As anyone can see from the numerous pictures i always post on every single one of my rides :laugh:

Hence i have no desire for any electric / boosted help. Yet ;)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Personally I think the French nailed it last century with Randonneur bikes - fat tyres, drops, lots of load-carrying potential.. closest thing you'll get today would be a tourer or something in the "gravel" spectrum.

My go-to utility bike (and the most practical I own) is my Fuji Touring - a modest offering that ticks lots of boxes for utility - steel frame, nice wide-range 3x9 gearing, bar-end shifters, mounts for all the things..

12x8_img_8123a-jpg.jpg

There are plenty of similar offerings of the same formula about used for not a lot of money, while many have flat-bar variants too.

The Genesis Croix de Fer is another great all-rounder, although truth be told my Fuji gets a lot more use as I'm less precious about it and prefer the gearing / crankset geometry. While the arse is falling out of the used bike market prices for Genesis CdFs / TdFs (the more touring-centric offering) still seem to be reasonably strong..

img_20220702_193752a-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Great bikes @wafter I particularly like the Fuji, as I may have said before.

My 'do most things' bike is a 1994 Marin Stinson that I had resprayed in 2019. I've used this bike for shopping, leisure rides and have toured on it. It takes 35mm tyres with mudguards and is my most comfortable bike.

These days it has swept back bars, is 3x9 speed and has a Tubus rack. I've also ditched the headgear in favour of letting my hair blow in the breeze.

IMG-20190428-WA0001.jpeg

Last edited:

wafter

Great bikes @wafter I particularly like the Fuji, as I may have said before.

My 'do most things' bike is a 1994 Marin Stinson that I had resprayed in 2019. I've used this bike for shopping, leisure rides and have toured on it. It takes 35mm tyres with mudguards and is my most comfortable bike.

These days it has swept back bars, is 3x9 speed and has a Tubus rack. I've also ditched the headgear in favour of letting my hair blow in the breeze.

View attachment 737773

Thanks! On paper the Genesis is undoubtedly the "better" bike (and on retail cost nearly three times as much) however I love the Fuji for its sensible, unpretentious yet capable spec and the reminder that you don't have to spend the earth to get a really good bike :smile:

Your Marin looks really nice; I think 3x9 is potentially the sweet spot for utility gearing and it looks well-sorted with the rack and decent-coverage guards.

When you strip away all the marketing crap you can get such a capable bike for not a lot of money if you go old and steel, and are prepared to put a bit of time in :smile:

I'll be hunting out a touring bike later this year or early next year.
The Genesis offerings look a bit high geared for load lugging.
The Fuji on the other hand, looks more sensible.

Out of left field, there's this offering from Decathlon, which despite the Alu frame looks like great value:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/touring-bike-riverside-touring-900/_/R-p-332461

At 17kg it is tiping the scales somewhat, but for £1299 it's got a good group set. All it needs are some bottle cages and ready to go.

And averaging nearly 16mph on upto 30 mile'ish rides

I think you are doing very well. I would add though, it's not necessarily about break records. It's also about being efficient so that you can go further.

wafter

I'll be hunting out a touring bike later this year or early next year.
The Genesis offerings look a bit high geared for load lugging.
The Fuji on the other hand, looks more sensible.

Out of left field, there's this offering from Decathlon, which despite the Alu frame looks like great value:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/touring-bike-riverside-touring-900/_/R-p-332461

At 17kg it is tiping the scales somewhat, but for £1299 it's got a good group set. All it needs are some bottle cages and ready to go.

I think you are doing very well. I would add though, it's not necessarily about break records. It's also about being efficient so that you can go further.

I agree about the Genesis tourers (although they're nice otherwise). Personally I'd not entertain the idea of ally; while last time I looked the latest Fuji Touring was about the same price.. although such bikes tend to depreciate a fair bit so you may well get a used one for a good price :smile:

Top Bottom