Unconventional meals involving ingredients totally incompatible you make and like, despite the disdain you may receive for making and eating them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm about to have one of my faves tomorrow

Sicilian pasta with Tomatoes, Anchovies, Almonds, Capers, Sultanas, Garlic and Olive Oil served with fresh Basil (out of the garden) Maz got some lovely 'Cherry Tomatoes on the Vine'

It's a Nigella recipe but no doubt she nicked it whilst on a jolly to Sicily but google it, bloody delicious but when you tell people what's in it they generally go 'bleargh' Anchovies and Sultanas. xx( but it tastes heavenly

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm about to have one of my faves tomorrow

Sicilian pasta with Tomatoes, Anchovies, Almonds, Capers, Sultanas, Garlic and Olive Oil served with fresh Basil (out of the garden) Maz got some lovely 'Cherry Tomatoes on the Vine'

It's a Nigella recipe but no doubt she nicked it whilst on a jolly to Sicily but google it, bloody delicious but when you tell people what's in it they generally go 'bleargh' Anchovies and Sultanas. xx( but it tastes heavenly

I'd like to try that, but I'm not a recipe follower. Instead I just chuck all sorts of stuff in, albeit healthy stuff. :rolleyes:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd like to try that, but I'm not a recipe follower. Instead I just chuck all sorts of stuff in, albeit healthy stuff. :rolleyes:

No cooking involved other than the Pasta, you bang it all in the Kenwood* and blend then add it to the drained Pasta.

* Note this is a Kenwood mixer not a HiFi although I admit to being a bit confused in the 80's when people said "I've bought a Kenwood"

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No cooking involved other than the Pasta, you bang it all in the Kenwood* and blend then add it to the drained Pasta.

* Note this is a Kenwood mixer not a HiFi although I admit to being a bit confused in the 80's when people said "I've bought a Kenwood"

Mmm, I have a food blender I bought in February 2023 still unopened, on the foot of my stairs where it's been since then and only moves when I vacuum clean around it. :rolleyes: I might Christen it with those ingredients.🤔 I thought it'd be one of those finicky recipes where you have to take things off the boil, add this then that, but only after something else has been in for 3 minutes or more blah blah. If it's a chuck it all in recipe it sounds quite easy. :okay:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Mmm, I have a food blender I bought in February 2023 still unopened, on the foot of my stairs where it's been since then and only moves when I vacuum clean around it. :rolleyes: I might Christen it with those ingredients.🤔 I thought it'd be one of those finicky recipes where you have to take things off the boil, add this then that, but only after something else has been in for 3 minutes or more blah blah. If it's a chuck it all in recipe it sounds quite easy. :okay:

The food blender/processor is a fantastic tool. I wouldn't be able to make my soups without it. Soup is a non finicky meal to make i assure you.

PaulSB

Squire

That sounds very good. Is it blended to a paste consistency or something chunkier?

PaulSB

Squire
Heck no, 90 squids for a kettle with a computer on it!? I boil up my ingredients in an old pan. Add it to the blender and you have soup. Blend for a shorter period of time if you like a chunky soup.

Even easier is blending in the cooking pan is one of these. It saves having to transfer the prepared soup and washing up the blender.

1000015225.jpg

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Even easier is blending in the cooking pan is one of these. It saves having to transfer the prepared soup and washing up the blender.

View attachment 743116

I used to use one for quite some time. It burnt out in the end. But i tend to batch cook a lot and freeze it and they're not really up to task for that and so i just use the processor. But for Accy's sake, a single bloke with a dog, ideal option. Couldn't be easier.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That sounds very good. Is it blended to a paste consistency or something chunkier?

Nah if you google Nigella Sicilian Pasta the recipe calls for it being 'nubbity' and where she says "put in a serving dish" I just use the saucepan I cooked the Pasta in (unlike her I have to do my own washing up) and whilst her choice of Pasta is a bit esoteric I use a good Italian Spaghetti preferably a nice chunky one but it works well with Tagliatelle too. The hard part is getting fresh Basil but we buy the supermarket ones and pot them on into compost where they're happy until it gets too cold (current plant was potted up in April and is still going strong, the trick is to 'harvest' above a few pairs of leaves and then 'sideshoots' appear, if you cut too low this won't happen but leaving 3-4 pairs of leaves on a stem is enough)

PaulSB

Squire
I used to use one for quite some time. It burnt out in the end. But i tend to batch cook a lot and freeze it and they're not really up to task for that and so i just use the processor. But for Accy's sake, a single bloke with a dog, ideal option. Couldn't be easier.

I agree but even for large batches I prefer the hand blender. It probably takes longer but it avoids all the mess involved with transfer to and from the blender etc.

It's probably 6 of 1 and personal choice

Top Bottom