Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Maybe look it up.
Er yeah. So any compound containing only nitrogen and oxygen. Not just NO. Each of those terms for NO contains reference to the +2 oxidation state of nitrogen in that compound. The term nitrogen oxide is not that specific.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Do some reading on 'surface chemistry' come back in about 3 to 4 years, see if your opinion has changed. And see just how wrong what you just posted actually is.
Ok. Let's do a little thought experiment.Take two heavy blocks of - for simplicity sake - salt. NaCl - old salty. place one block on top of the other and then put them both in a vacuum. Now try and slide the top one over the bottom one.

According to you, there has to be "surface chemistry" going on for friction, right? But all we've got is sodium and chlorine. The only thing salt can do chemically in a vacuum is separate into sodium metal and chlorine gas. I ask you.....

In this experiment, do we see sodium and chlorine formed when we shove the salt block?
Or
Is there no friction.

Those are the only two options based on your argument.

Over to you.

As for my education, ironically I do have a physics PhD, although it's in nuclear physics. Ignoring the time I spent post-docing, that's 7 years very focused education.

I'm happy to acknowledge that this doesn't make me an expert, but it does give me some of the tools to analyse the problem.

I've presented two arguments to say your talking guff and all you've done is insult me and anyone else who's disagreed. It's not there first time we've been here, is it? Come up with some evidence instead of saying "I can't be arsed because I'm so special" or step out.

S-Express

Er yeah. So any compound containing only nitrogen and oxygen. Not just NO. Each of those terms for NO contains reference to the +2 oxidation state of nitrogen in that compound. The term nitrogen oxide is not that specific.
Thanks for making my point.

I know that, you know that...

ETA: The chemistry bit I mean. I don't think in fact it's all entirely explained by VdW forces.

I disagree with what I think you are saying but before I present a counter argument, please explain what you mean by the it in "it's not entirely explained"

lutonloony

Über Member
I bought a new tyre last week. It's got some tread on. It rained yesterday, I didn't fall off. So the tread saved the day. My other tyre is a slick, that seemed to do the job too. Just saying :smile:

Ok. Let's do a little thought experiment.Take two heavy blocks of - for simplicity sake - salt. NaCl - old salty. place one block on top of the other and then put them both in a vacuum. Now try and slide the top one over the bottom one.

According to you, there has to be "surface chemistry" going on for friction, right? But all we've got is sodium and chlorine. The only thing salt can do chemically in a vacuum is separate into sodium metal and chlorine gas. I ask you.....

In this experiment, do we see sodium and chlorine formed when we shove the salt block?
Or
Is there no friction.

Those are the only two options based on your argument.

Over to you.

As for my education, ironically I do have a physics PhD, although it's in nuclear physics. Ignoring the time I spent post-docing, that's 7 years very focused education.

I'm happy to acknowledge that this doesn't make me an expert, but it does give me some of the tools to analyse the problem.

I've presented two arguments to say your talking guff and all you've done is insult me and anyone else who's disagreed. It's not there first time we've been here, is it? Come up with some evidence instead of saying "I can't be arsed because I'm so special" or step out.

I can see a third option and that depends where in the vessel you are detecting for the two elements.

Henceforth, can we please allow all arguments to stand on their own legs and speak for themselves and not be bolstered by framed certificates on the wall?

keithmac

Guru
What about 2 cubes of steel, one on top of the other. I always though friction (caused by the weight of the top cube and the surface of the steel) was the only factor in making it hard to slide over the bottom cube.

Is there surface chemistry going on here as well?, I'm genuinely interested by the way!.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'm preparing Old Reliable for our trip to France next weekend, part of which involved fitting the Vittoria Rubino Pro's I bought from @vickster a few weeks ago.

I spotted the rotation arrow, and thought I'd ensured that I'd fitted them correctly. When I looked this morning, however, I discovered they were the wrong way round...

So, an extra job today, one which I dislike immensely. I reckon the local foxes swapped them round overnight.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm preparing Old Reliable for our trip to France next weekend, part of which involved fitting the Vittoria Rubino Pro's I bought from @vickster a few weeks ago.

I spotted the rotation arrow, and thought I'd ensured that I'd fitted them correctly. When I looked this morning, however, I discovered they were the wrong way round...

So, an extra job today, one which I dislike immensely. I reckon the local foxes swapped them round overnight.
I managed one the right way round when swapping Duranos onto my CX. All good practice! Luckily the rear one was correct

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I managed one the right way round when swapping Duranos onto my CX. All good practice! Luckily the rear one was correct
You don't even need the rotation arrows on the Rubinos to tell you the correct orientation, the tread pattern makes it self evident. And yet...

I think I just go a bit *duh* when spanners, or indeed tyre levers, find their way into my hands.

Top Bottom