TV licensing threatening letters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Crankarm said:
However you actually have to be watching live broadcast TV as well.
Just to be slightly more precise on this point: you have to be watching a "television programme service" at the same time as it is being broadcast - but the licence is necessary even if you're watching it on cable or a phone or iplayer or whatever, as long as it's live.

Streaming Iplayer of yesterday's TV (or watching your neighbour's video recordings of last night's programmes) is perfectly OK without a licence.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
coruskate said:
Just to be slightly more precise on this point: you have to be watching a "television programme service" at the same time as it is being broadcast - but the licence is necessary even if you're watching it on cable or a phone or iplayer or whatever, as long as it's live.

Streaming Iplayer of yesterday's TV (or watching your neighbour's video recordings of last night's programmes) is perfectly OK without a licence.

Interesting point whether watching BBC i-player qualifies for needing a license as although it is not being shown at the same time as per the TV schedules, it could still be considered as watching TV being broadcast continually for 7 days, then it lapses as programmes, well radio programmes, are only available for watching for a period of 7 days. Grey area. What do you think Coruskate?

Norm

Crankarm said:
Interesting point whether watching BBC i-player qualifies for needing a license...
Only if you didn't read replies #7, #10, #45 and, indeed, your own post at reply #47. :reading:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Hmm. Actually I have a suspicion this may have changed since I last looked at it, because I can't find the bits in the Communications Act 2003 that I thought were there. Or maybe I'm not remembering it correctly

Top Bottom