TV licensing threatening letters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

There is a person in the house who is over 74.

He also drinks my beer during the afternoon while watching the "Yesterday" channel....:biggrin:

Mind you, I can go down the other end of the house and push some weights or fettle with a bicycle.

Got Eurosport on desktop and CC on laptop. Happy bunny. :biggrin:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
In a similar vein, I keep paracetamols in the office for my own use just in case, but not in the First Aid Box as we've been advised we can't administer drugs to staff. Jobs worths!

Good luck Crank...

Dan B

Disengaged member
I have had one personal call from a tv licence inspector. He told me that I didn't have a TV licence, I told him that I didn't need one, and put the entryphone back on its hook.

They tend to concentrate their efforts more on "council" areas and the less well-off than on leafy suburbs.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
coruskate said:
I have had one personal call from a tv licence inspector. He told me that I didn't have a TV licence, I told him that I didn't need one, and put the entryphone back on its hook.

They tend to concentrate their efforts more on "council" areas and the less well-off than on leafy suburbs.

The satellite dish is a bit of a giveaway.

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
slowmotion said:
Good move..do nothing. The lack of a reply-paid envelope really is an insult. My attitude is that it is not my responsibility to correct their inaccurate database.

And, as I thought back in the days when I didn't have a telly, it's certainly down to them to prove I have got one, rather than down to me to prove I haven't.

Chamfus Flange

My parents have not had a TV for twenty years and they are constantly receiving such letters. No matter how much correspondance with the licencing authority it will continue because the law assumes everyone have a TV. Therefore if you've no licence you'll receive a notice asking why not and threatening you legal action.

longers

Legendary Member
I get left alone now :welcome:

I got fed up of the threatening and accusatory letters and phoned up and complained.
I was told they make no mention or allowance for those who don't have tellies so it spurs those people on to contact them. What wasn't said was they might think the "guilty" are less likely to be aggrieved enough to phone up and kick off - I inferred that bit all by myself.

Nearly two years now since they last got in touch.

Dayvo said:
Just say "What is it that you don't fukkin' understand about 'I don't have a fukkin' TV?'" That might work! :biggrin:

But the problem is that he does!

The wording IIRC is that you pay for the "capability" to receive. There is a TV that is "capable" so unfortunately fair game and open to prosecution.

Chris Sirrus

Cunobelin said:
The wording IIRC is that you pay for the "capability" to receive. There is a TV that is "capable" so unfortunately fair game and open to prosecution.

You need to have an ariel actually plugged into your TV,if you don't you don't have to pay.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I am told that they are instructed to go schtum and leave you alone for a good long time if you mention legal action, because they know how dubious their tactics are legally. Haven't ried it myself

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Presumably most on here have TV licences. The T&Cs of the TV licence are on the reverse of it at the bottom,
What is a TV Licence needed for?

• To use any TV equipment such as a TV set, digital box, video or DVD recorder, computer or mobile phone to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on television.
What does your licence allow?

The licence allows installation and use of TV equipment:

• at the licenced premises by anyone.
  • In a vehicle, boat or caravan by:
-You and anyone who normally lives with You at the licenced place (so long as the TV equipment is not being used in a non touring caravan and the licenced place at the same time).

- anyone, who normally works at the licenced place (so long as the vehicle, boat or caravan is being used for a business purpose).

It would may be that even if you have a TV and don't use it to watch live TV this could still be viewed as being INSTALLED even if there was no signal to the TV from the aerial as it was disconnected and leads removed. Although installation would not be complete. So they would get you this way even though you couldn't watch TV programmes as they are being shown live on TV? How about if it just sits, disconnected, gathering dust?

Yes/No?

Any legal eagles out there?

Maybe call/visit the CAB tomorrow.

:biggrin:

Noodley

Crankarm said:
Although installation would not be complete. So they would get you this way even though you couldn't watch TV programmes as they are being shown live on TV?

:smile:

I would have thought if it is not complete then it is not installed. :biggrin:

But there is seldom logic involved in these matters.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Crankarm, my two pennies.

The document you just posted states that you need one ...

To use any TV equipment such as a TV set, digital box, video or DVD recorder, computer or mobile phone to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on television.

I think the important bit is the stuff I underlined. If you ain't watching or recording in real time, my guess is no licence is needed. BTW, I am not a lawyer.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Do I Need A Licence?

A UK television licence is not required to own a television. A licence is only required if you watch live television programmes.
If your television is used for some other purpose, such as watching DVDs or listening to music, you do not need a licence.

More at the link provided by slowmotion, message #15

Top Bottom