Towns in the UK that are cycle-friendly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Stoke on Trent's roads aren't the best for cycling on but if you ride the canal path it virtually I encircles the city like a ring road and then theres a few old railway paths with a 10 mile gravel path to Congleton.

Sounds good, I wish I'd known about that a few years ago when I cycled from Stoke to Congleton.

I remember Congleton as being one of the least cycle- friendly places I have been. That may have been influenced by my tiredness and poor map reading.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Looking at some surveys from the last few years, Nottingham and Gosport seem popular places we've not discussed much. Anyone know them?

Looking at a map, Sheffield and Rotherham seem to have lots of cycle routes. Are they any good?

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
The list of places that are cycle-friendly so far:

Bridgend
Bristol
Cambridge
Exeter
Leeds
London (parts)
Milton Keynes
Norwich
Oxford
 Taunton
Vale of Glamorgan
York (maybe)

I'm defining cycle-friendly as being somewhere you can get about on a bike, using good positioning and signals, without regular close passes and verbal abuse.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The list of places that are cycle-friendly so far:

Bridgend
Bristol
Cambridge
Exeter
Leeds
London (parts)
Milton Keynes
Norwich
Oxford
 Taunton
Vale of Glamorgan
York (maybe)

I'm defining cycle-friendly as being somewhere you can get about on a bike, using good positioning and signals, without regular close passes and verbal abuse.

So not Bolton then.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Swindon is a hell hole. Too many hot hatch testosterone tossers.
Meanwhile....Central London is paradise if you stay clear of all cycle paths. London motorists realised long ago that it's pretty inconvenient to knock cyclists off their bikes. They come across cyclists so often that they are experienced with driving amongst them. Out-of-towners are the people you have to watch out for.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Swindon is a hell hole. Too many hot hatch testosterone tossers.
I was wondering. Swindon and Worcester are two cities that have detailed guides on cycle.travel but haven't been suggested here. I've ridden neither.

Meanwhile....Central London is paradise if you stay clear of all cycle paths.
That's not a given. You can't blithely assume they're all great, but the Embankment cycleway (CS3) is much nicer than the carriageway alongside, for one example.

London motorists realised long ago that it's pretty inconvenient to knock cyclists off their bikes. They come across cyclists so often that they are experienced with driving amongst them. Out-of-towners are the people you have to watch out for.
UK car registration plates don't reliably indicate the residence of the current owner so there's pretty much no way to do that. However, it is a good idea to assume that nearly all tour buses/coaches in London are from elsewhere and will be absolutely shoot at driving in London, using bus lanes when not allowed (bus lane sign has "local" on it: the Holborn A40 ones are a favourite for abuse), pulling into cycle lanes or onto cycleways, allowing their passengers to disembark into live traffic lanes (including foreign coaches opening little swing-out emergency exit doors near the back), turning across traffic lanes from lane 1 without giving way (and not only cycle lanes, neither: I've seen more than one coach try to left hook a bus...) and much more. Letting these things go almost anywhere in central London (instead of restricting them to certain A roads) seems a bit like having a herd of short-sighted rhinos wandering amongst small birds: it's a miracle more don't get squashed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom