Tour de France - Stage 18 - SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Not entirely. There are a number of factors that are considered, size of the group being just one of them. The fact he was wearing green is another. I heard mention on French TV that the wind was also a consideration. They were riding into a strong wind, something that the official calculation of the cut off time does not allow for.

But, hey, this is France! You get used to local interpretations of rules. Sometimes rules seem to be used as guidance rather than for strict adherence. There might be a single Napoleonic Code but there's a myriad of people and places that interpret it differently!
I only quoted what I heard on TV. I know bugger all about the rules. :biggrin: Am I right in thinking that green means holding the most points?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you consider that Voeckler is realistically hoping for a podium finish, and accepting that Andy Schleck would be first or second, then it makes absolutely no sense for him to chase. He'd be more concerned about Basso, (the late Alberto) Contador and Frank Schleck than anybody else.

I still think that one or other of the Schleck brothers will go for it tomorrow. I guess we'll have to pop in to a bar somewhere on the road to Saint-Saens to catch the finish.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
I feel sorry for Contador but it suggests that two big stage races within a month is not possible for him and probably most, if not all, of the others as well. Evans as usual is putting in a great performance but the work he did today must have taken a lot out of him so I hope he can recover sufficently to give it another good crack tomorrow.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

Voeckler seems perhaps somewhat surprisingly not to have thoughts about podium places, if his comments are to be believed! He's pretty darned candid about his abilities and doesn't see himself as a GC rider at all. Every day in yellow is in itself success for him.

I think he's been anticipating the inevitable for some days now. That being that he'll be dropped. It's not the attitude of a champion at all, it lacks that single minded objective. It's actually incredibly refreshing imho. Seeing him interviewed, you can't but be struck by his humility, by the sense that even he feels he's performing way beyond expectation and is not supposed to be there! But imo what he lacks in overall planning and plotting, he makes up for with sheer guts and tenacity.

Let's be clear; I'm not critical of him for not working with Evans. I can understand it from what I think is his perspective. But I can equally understand why Evans would be angered by it.

400bhp

Guru
There's different pschycological ways of winning a race.

One is the single mindedness that they are the best and expect to be first.

Another is taking each day at a time. An old cliche but it's what TV is doing.

Utterly incredible - gladiatorial perhaps.

It's why I love watching TdF :thumbsup:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Let's be clear; I'm not critical of him for not working with Evans. I can understand it from what I think is his perspective. But I can equally understand why Evans would be angered by it.
Yebbut, Evans isn't exactly a stranger to the world of wheelsucking, he should see it as Voeckler paying homage :thumbsup:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
TV was right not to help Evans. After all Capel used a lot of energy today and may pay for it tomorrow. TV only has to follow and he may still be in yellow tomorrow although I think the Schleck brothers will continue to attack and break the others . I think Frank may win the stage just to rob it in and Andy take yellow

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
That was a terrific stage, Shleck was starting to grind into the ground at the end and watching TV clinging onto yellow was very exciting. As already said, TV owes it to Cadel, there was no-one else with any will at all to chase Shleck. Brutal stuff that certainly spread the pack but great to watch.

yello

Sorry, I meant an overall objective, a plan, rather than 'I am the best'. Knowing when to go, which stages are the important ones, even knowing where you can loose time. Knowing that you don't need to have the yellow jersey until the final stage. Biding your time and pacing yourself.

Voeckler, by his own admission, did not prepare as a GC rider would... because he didn't expect to find himself in that position! He's ridden balls-out every day in defence. In a sense, he's retained yellow because others have let him! THEY didn't see him as a long term threat either. They weren't expecting him to go the distance, so in a sense forgot about him. Think about the interviews with the GC guys and who they mention as the threats they see; it's not Thomas Voeckler. Or wasn't anyway! He's kind of been a fly in the ointment!

This tour has been excellent so far, best of the last few years that I've been watching. It's partly due to this maverick Voeckler. His approach is not your typical cagey GC rider's approach and it's worked for him thus far. Will tomorrow be a bridge to far? Can he produce the TT performance of his life? (My answers to those questions are 'no' and 'no'). Who knows, but I know I'll be watching!

Top Bottom