Tour de France - Stage 18 - SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I too thought AS went too soon but credit to him and Leopard for canny tactics, having riders up the road helped him out. I didn't think he had the strength to finish it from there so I am surprised at that.

I was getting frickin' frustrated at the peleton though. There seemed little interest in chasing. I just couldn't understand it. There was enough of them there with an interest but it just didn't happen. It looked to me as though TV actually refused to work with Evans. Then they spoke to the Europcar director sportive and he actually said 'Thomas never said he'd win the tour so it's not up to him to chase'!!!!! (TM Keith :smile:). Happy enough to sit on his wheel though eh? Evans had no option but to tow everyone to the finish.

I think TV ought say thanks to Evans though, since he - and TV's team mate Pierre Rolland - where immense in the defence of yellow. And if Evans has a hissy fit this evening, I'll understand it. I'd expect him to have a few choice words about Voeckler, whether he'll voice them publicly or not is another matter!

That's the end of Contador's chances though. He's had his moments but I don't reckon he's looked totally at ease the entire tour. Shame, I love to see him at his best.

So, looks as though it's between Evans and Schleck Jnr then. The latter will have to look for a little more time tomorrow though, he's no TTer.

MichaelM

Guru
I fancy Evans to win now. Can't see AS gaining time tomorrow, and Evans won't allow FS to get away. Though if FS does get away and Evans gives chase, will AS be able to keep with him after today - interesting !

I'll go for a 1,2,3 of Evans, AS, Voeckler

Can't wait for tomorrow !

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A great ride by Andy Schleck, but he was done in at the end. Brother Frank looked as fresh as a daisy, while poor old Cadel Evans (aka Mr. Popularity) had to go through all sorts to reduce the gap, which grew, I think, to 4m20 at one point.

I thought Voeckler was entirely justified in staying just where he was - and he was more in evidence than Basso.

Going forward - tomorrow could be Frank Schleck's day. I wouldn't be surprised to see Andy go out front again, and for his brother to concentrate on a late burst to steal a minute or two.

Good to see Contador suffer. That's what happens when you can't rely on that 'special' steak. Not so good to see Sanchez dropped - I wonder if the change of bike had anything to do with it?

yello

Officially, Cavendish is out of time. They commissionaires don't normally DNF a jersey holder but it is possible. Decision soon.

Fiona N

Veteran
The ITT itself is going to be interesting especially as it's no pushover of a course with that 370m hill in it :rolleyes:

edindave

Über Member
I wonder if Frank will go on a mammoth break away tomorrow and it'll be Andy who sits comfortably in the leading pack tomorrow :?:

Maybe... Frank was poised to take it if Andy flagged at the end today.
Awesome ride by Voeckler. Not surprised by a Schleck win though. It's all been tactical posturing alongside Contador till now.

bobones

Veteran
Cav docked 20 points. Rojas only 15 behind now :sad:

raindog

er.....
Heroic ride from Evans. When I think of the wheelsucker insults that went on for years and he just pulled that crowd up the Galibier on his own.

Very slightly easier day tomorrow, so I should think Cav should be OK untill Paris now.

Fiona N

Veteran
Officially, Cavendish is out of time.

Odd that since he came in 97th - so if Cav for DNF so were another 60+ riders :biggrin:

Oh I see - they docked 20 points off everyone in the gruppetto who had points to dock - Tyler Farrar and Petacchi etc.

Well, legendary ride by Andy Schleck but how much has that cost him and is it him or Frank going for the GC, we'll see tomorrow. I was surprised there was no organisation to the chase but it became obvious when Sammy Sanchez and Contador droped back, why. The Schleks still need to do it again, they still don't have enough time, it's still wide open. Can Voeckler stay there again tomorrow? Great recovery by Evans as well. It didn't disappoint did it.

Glover Fan

I don't understand why people think Cadel is justified with being annoyed with TV.

TV is the race leader. He is in the position because he attacked early on during the tour in a breakaway that gave him a time advantage. If you are in a race and you have a lead, why expend all of your energy just to let someone else win. I don't think winning the GC is all about staying in the peleton for 95% of the tour and then attacking the last 5km of a big mountain to win, sure that happens most of the time but fortune favours the brave.

If Cadel, Frank and Andy want to have a chance of winning then they are going to have to attack. TV can wheelsuck as much as he likes now he's put his effort in AND MORE he is riding like his life depends on it, if he didn't have a yellow jersey on his torso he wouldn't have been up Galibier with the "favourites".

Sometimes I think people forget this is a race and it is to be won and not handed out.

I think it's unfortunate that the ITT is going to have a big say on who wins, but I suppose the GC has to have all of the essential skills in his locker and TTing is one of the required attributes.

I have managed to refrain from mentioning the "W" word for a while, but I did think today of how different it could have been with Wiggins in it, would he have attacked with BH yesterday?

RedRider

Pulling through
Leopard Trek to keep pressure on with Frank pushing tomorrow and a late attack from Andy to get more seconds from Cadel if he's upto it. Despite Andy's performance today, I'll be rooting for the Aussie.

yello

I don't understand why people think Cadel is justified with being annoyed with TV

"People" here don't, not so far as I'm aware anyway. So I'll take your comment as aimed at me!

At the time when Evans was asking for support, Andy Schleck HAD the virtual yellow jersey on the road. Voeckler looked to be saying he wasn't interested in trying to taking back any time. And he only wanted maybe a minute back at that point. But his team was not interested. Not interested in defending yellow, not interested enough to work for it anyway! If Evans was going to put the work in then yes, they'd reap the rewards (that's hardly "brave"!). I can understand Schleck Snr not working (then making the easy jump when Evans was shagged) but the others?! Where was Basso? Or Contador? Or Sanchew? Or Cunego? They all had interest in closing the gap bit not enough to work for it. That's why I could understand Evans spitting tacks this evening!

Top Bottom