Tour de France Femmes 2024 SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I also lost some love for Evita Muzik who did NOT need to sprint for third! I’m assuming the red mist was down but it was an unnecessary move! Or it was because Demi is prob in her team next year and she wanted some brownie points!
I know that finish line bonuses divide opinion. Generally I think they add a lot of interest, so I'm in favour, but...

What was Ms Muzic to do? If she doesn't sprint that gifts third place to Kasia, directly favouring her in the YJ battle. There was no neutral position for her to occupy.

Alex321

Guru
Yeah I really feel for Demi!

I also lost some love for Evita Muzik who did NOT need to sprint for third! I’m assuming the red mist was down but it was an unnecessary move! Or it was because Demi is prob in her team next year and she wanted some brownie points!

Why would she not sprint for 3rd?

A place on the stage podium, and more prize money?

It is commonplace for riders to sprint even for much lower places than 3rd.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And anyway if Muzic hadn't taken the bonuses the gap would have been bigger and it wouldn't have been so dramatic.

Alex321

Guru
You're dead right, and this used to bug me!

But I've accepted that people now describe 2nd/3rd on the stage as a "podium place". It's a lost battle my friend!

I rarely watch the podium ceremonies in stage races, so had just assumed when commentators talked about podium places, it was meant literally.

But you still get more prize money for third than 4th, and as mentioned above, more UCI points.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I rarely watch the podium ceremonies in stage races, so had just assumed when commentators talked about podium places, it was meant literally.
Now that most races are crammed onto Eurosport rather than scattered across local stations with the time to show them in full and some of the carnivals around them, you rarely can watch the podium ceremonies except for the Grand Tours and Monuments! Heck, even for those, E1 is likely to switch in mid-word to tennis, sailing or hors <click>

But you still get more prize money for third than 4th, and as mentioned above, more UCI points.
Yes, all valid reasons to race for minor stage places. 20 more points per place from 5th to 3rd at the Tour (compared to 5 at shorter stage races).

Top Bottom