Tour de France 2024 SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Cummings not goings.
Zak Dempster is the DS on site for Ineos. I'm not sure if that's significant or not. He didn't come across as very inspirational in the Netflix prog.
You'll be telling me C.Rod and Pidders are sharing a room next 😲

Adam4868

Guru
What do we think of Pog's statement that he's just had Covid but it was no big deal?
We're soon gonna find out,fingers crossed there's not too much at the Tour this year.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My son had Covid and was entirely unaffected. If he took it really easy when he was ill, there is a good chance that hasn't had any affect at all.

Might be a youthful resilience thing. I came down with Covid on Tuesday/ Wednesday and it has not been good, but then i'm an old git 😄 They've put me on a course of antivirals 🤞

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We're soon gonna find out,fingers crossed there's not too much at the Tour this year.

Fingers crossed 🤞

I seem to remember that there was a rider/some riders pulled from the Giro with covid? Or maybe another stage race like Paris-Nice or the Dauphine?? I thought at the time "Ah, so it's still a thing that is happening in the peloton". But not major riders and not lots of riders. And it was probably overshadowed by some big crash or other.

Or am I dreaming things up again?

At least Pog's immune system should be on top form.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I agree Florence looked amazing and Italy will be serene watching. But why hold the prologue in Italy when the Giro has just been through? For the fans, Denmark last year was superb as was UK 10 years ago. Surely part of the function of the external prologue is to spread the grand tour gospel?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I agree Florence looked amazing and Italy will be serene watching. But why hold the prologue in Italy when the Giro has just been through? For the fans, Denmark last year was superb as was UK 10 years ago. Surely part of the function of the external prologue is to spread the grand tour gospel?

As with anything to do with the TdF, the answer is "Money".

I guess that Florence and the surrounding region need a bit more publicity outside Italy, and therefore put in a bid to TdF that was financially tempting, in a way that GdI was unable to take advantage of. And if I was running the TdF, the chance to have Florence in the route for the year would be unmissable, at the right price, in a way that Redcar or Ludwigshafen would struggle.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Yes you are correct, money talks @BrumJim and Florence is really sensational. I suppose I was thinking of the longer term benefits to the sport that the Prologue can deliver through growing the fan base and legacy events. These can payback over a longer period.

The Pog meets David would be an interesting photoshoot!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yes you are correct, money talks @BrumJim and Florence is really sensational. I suppose I was thinking of the longer term benefits to the sport that the Prologue can deliver through growing the fan base and legacy events. These can payback over a longer period.

The Pog meets David would be an interesting photoshoot!

Yes, but I think (although I am not partial to the ASO conversations) that TdF finances are based on long term and short term financial gain. Sometimes (and on some stages) you grab a quick buck, and for some stages, it is about fan base, legacy, etc.

I can't imagine that Alpe D'Huez is the biggest money spinner for TdF, but I also can't imagine the race not going there for more than a couple of years, and parts of France (e.g. St Etienne) could never offer the sort of bid money that richer and more touristy areas could. But ASO realise that it isn't just this year's race that needs to make money.

Top Bottom