Tour de France 2015 - may contain nuts and SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Can someone tell me why Niki Terpstra isn't at the Tour? I know he withdrew from the Dauphine before the finish, but I don't know why - was it a crash or just feeling a bit poorly? He seems to have recovered well enough to win the Dutch national road race but obviously wasn't deemed fit enough to make the EQS Tour squad. Would have been handy in Cav's leadout on a day like today.

Cav seemed to deliberately drop onto Greipel's wheel which I thought was smart but then seemed to move off it and try to move up and Greipel moved onto his wheel. Sagan was moving pretty fast at the end too.

the_craig

Veteran
Big Andre is immense and is bossing the sprints.

Although when you see replays, look out for Sagan on the left. It looks like he is in a different race.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can someone tell me why Niki Terpstra isn't at the Tour?
http://cyclingquotes.com/news/terpstra_to_skip_the_tour/ suggests he's aiming at the Worlds this year and didn't feel he could do both.
Although when you see replays, look out for Sagan on the left. It looks like he is in a different race.
A race that ends 10m later...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Cav is definitely not as fast as he used to be.

He's a much better all-round rider, though. I think that as he's slowed, he's been getting stronger in other areas, as we saw in the British Road Race Championship this year. When this started to happen a couple of years ago he resisted the change, but I think he'll have to do some serious thinking in the off-season about how he directs his training effort, part of which is going to be to accept the fact that he's no longer the superstar sprinter he was. Unlike some ex-pure sprinters, I don't think he can settle into being a lead-out man - he's fast in all the wrong ways needed for that role. I think he can, however, move towards being a fast-finishing classics rider.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And yet Boom can manage to do both despite his ongoing health problems!

Thanks for the clarification, but that story doesn't add up. Why would riding the Tour in July be a problem for the Worlds in September?
Maybe Terpstra is getting different medical advice to Boom? Anyone like to comment on how Quickstep's and Astana's doctors compare? :laugh:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Maybe Terpstra is getting different medical advice to Boom? Anyone like to comment on how Quickstep's and Astana's doctors compare? :laugh:

You do have to wonder why Astana's doctors weren't aware of Boom's cortisol problem. Perhaps if they'd caught it themselves, the team could have quietly dropped him before it became public knowledge.

Not that I'm suggesting this has any relevance to the Terpstra situation, you understand. :whistle:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Some of the coverage was odd today, talking about riders being 'caught behind' as if the teams and riders concerned really cared. So far as I can tell, none of the GC or sprint favourites were in the second group that was split as a result of the wind, so there was no-one really 'caught behind'. It was basically a load of domestiques who sat back and cruised home after the split happened, and why not? They all want to save their energy for supporting their teams' contenders in the harder days to follow next week.

Top Bottom