Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
FWIW Kreuziger reckons that Contador will gamble it all in the Alps. Could be posturing.
Well, if he doesn't try in the Alps... he can always gamble it on the Champs-Elysees

The Couch

Über Member
The other option being that he rides for second and doesn't try anything risky.
Well, at the moment that Froome tries/is dropping everyone on the Ventoux Valverde, Contador, Mollema and Quintana can start fighting for his wheel, to take some of the slipstream (like the sprinters fighting for the wheel of Cavendish in HTC-Columbia times)... hoing to end in 2nd place and maybe, just maybe, nicking it on the finish line....

Sounds smart :smile:

VamP

Banned
I suppose the one thing that remains to be seen is if Movistar, Belkin and Saxo work together to try and break Froome, or if they give up on the win and have a fight for the podium.

In all honesty though, Froome just doesn't seem to have any weaknesses right now.

tigger

Über Member
In all honesty though, Froome just doesn't seem to have any weaknesses right now.

True, individually he is incredibly strong, but as we have seen his weakness is his team at the moment. It was notable even on stage 10 on Tuesday he had no one around him in the last 10k or so other than Stannard. Contador doesn't usually race for second, and provided he is feeling better (the signs yesterday were quite good I think) then my prediction is that Saxo and Movistar will attack from early on in stage 15 (Ventoux). Stage 14 is lumpy and ripe for the breakaway, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some fuel added to the fire here too, to help tire and demotivate Sky further. Garmin and Dan Martin have to be watched on this stage too. If Froome continually gets isolated early, with strength in numbers from the other teams, plus has a bit of a bad day he can lose bucket loads of time. And we haven't even got to the double ascent of the Alpe yet!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I still think Valverde will get found out in the Alps and finish outside the podium places.

The Couch

Über Member
I still think Valverde will get found out in the Alps and finish outside the podium places.
Since everybody currently is still very close together, it isn't far reached to say that... but I do have the feeling that the TT performances show that Valverde is pretty good (and Contador is on the way up), so I am inclined at this moment to believe we might end up with these 2 on the podium

But let's just wait for week 3, where it will all (have to) happen :smile:

The Couch

Über Member
Although you might be right and this thing can happen:
3rd place: De Gendt
After loosing close to 2 hours in the mountain stages nobody believed he could pull off the solo he started in the first kilometer of the last mountain stage. However with a performance that outshined his last year's Giro stage-win, the non-existing form he had shown this year and due to a peloton where no team seemed willing to take the lead of getting the difference down, he managed the incredible feat of taking enough time back to take the 3rd place.​

Looking at yesterday's performance of De Gendt.... do you feel his form rising? ^_^

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Since everybody currently is still very close together, it isn't far reached to say that... but I do have the feeling that the TT performances show that Valverde is pretty good (and Contador is on the way up), so I am inclined at this moment to believe we might end up with these 2 on the podium

I felt the real reason Movistar didn't try to really put the hurt on Froome on Sunday is because Valverde didn't have the legs. You saw the way he reacted when Quintana attacked on the final climb - I don't think that was just tactical...

I predict that when Contador goes kamikaze in the Alps, as we are all assuming he will, Valverde won't be able to follow.

But this could just be wishful thinking because I don't much like him. Admittedly, he did better than I expected in the TT yesterday.

raindog

er.....
This Cav/Veelers thing is now out of control. Apparently he's been informed by the organisers that he's no longer welcome, FFS, at a Dutch Crit where he races every year.
While Adam and Vasseur were just talking about this, they once again showed the long version of the slo-mo from the helicopter, and you can clearly see Veelers look over his shoulder and then move onto Cav's line.

Top Bottom