Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
Anyone got a weather report for today?
thunder storms, apparently

The Couch

Über Member
So, @The Couch, how should Hoogerland be prononunced?
You pronounce the "Hoo" a bit like the oldest profession in the world but without closing it with a "w" sound, just keep it open
then the "ger" is like the "gar" in sugar
and the a in "land" is a short sound like the a in the British way of pronouncing "bath"

EDIT: of course I would not pronounce it either 100% the same way as a "Hollander" would, since in Belgium we speak decent Dutch ;)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
"@albertocontador: Hill top finish today with two times up Alpe D'Huez! Who knows what will happen...??"

You can almost hear the glint in his eye.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
We were speculating last september on this...
@Crackle clearly wasn't paying proper attention.

I maintain my position of the time, the Sarenne route is the better (more idyllic) route up the Alpe (and the hairpin route is the better route down it...)

I'd also rate the Sarenne the harder climb....it's longer and steeper in parts. Only plus it has over the traditional route is that it doesn't catch the afternoon sun in quite the same way so is less of an oven. I did it on a drizzly day and it was a humid sweat fest even then.

PpPete

Legendary Member
You pronounce the "Hoo" a bit like the oldest profession in the world but without closing it with a "w" sound, just keep it open
then the "ger" is like the "gar" in sugar
and the a in "land" is a short sound like the a in the British way of pronouncing "bath"

EDIT: of course I would not pronounce it either 100% the same way as a "Hollander" would, since in Belgium we speak decent Dutch ;)
Makes up for what you do to French ?;):becool:

Top Bottom