Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My memory of the Lismore/Port Appin ferry is that it was "on demand". There was some method of signalling that you needed it. But that was decades ago...
It seems to run at regular intervals now. I think hourly, numerous times a day.

I read a bit about that old railway line (your link) and am curious as to why it was ever built. I wonder if the longer-term intention was to carry on north to Fort William?
My sister is the family photo archivist and I'll ask her if she's come across any photos of Lismore, Port Appin or Onich/Ballachulish from the early 60s.
I found a series of 3 excellent articles which I am sure that you will be interested in... The first article is HERE and it contains links to parts 2 and 3. Note that part 3 is slightly out of date with regard to NCN 78. It refers to having to use a short stretch of the A-road between North Connel and Benderloch. That is no longer the case... An agreement has been reached with the owner of a large caravan site to run the cycle path through there. As I mentioned above, the forestry sections have also been resurfaced.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I found a series of 3 excellent articles which I am sure that you will be interested in...

Thanks, Colin

I've just read all three of Roger Farnworth's articles. All very interesting and with some excellent photos.

My father had a huge collection of "The Railway Magazine" .. I wonder what happened to them all? Probably ended up in a paper recycling skip somewhere ... a shame.

I also really liked the ornate metalwork that is used in places on NCN78. What a great (if somewhat expensive) idea!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Week 41, back in Todmorden: 5 qualifying rides, 106 km, 5½ hrs.

Ride 1 (Mon): 19 km. ELLL to Summit and back. 1 hr.
Ride 2 (Tue): 18 km. ELLL to Cliviger traffic lights and back. 1 hr.
Ride 3 (Fri): 28 km. Up and down the A646! 1½ hrs.
Ride 4 (Sat): 22 km. ELLL to Calderbrook & back. 1 hr.***
Ride 5 (Sun): 19 km. To Calderbrook & back. 1 hr.

Rides 1-4 on my 6-er; ride 5 on my CAAD5, on one of the last rides before it is hibernated.

*** Bad timing on that ride! Sunny conditions disappeared while I prepared for my ride. I went out under threatening clouds which dumped large volumes of chilly rain on me shortly afterwards! I kept thinking that I desperately did NOT want to have to fix a puncture out in that. Well, it turned out that I DID puncture my front tube, but it was slow enough to hold pressure to get me home. I noticed this morning that ths tyre was flat so today's ride was done on my best bike. The culprit was a tiny sliver of glass in the tyre, which was very hard to find.

Success rate: 41 weeks out of 41.

152 qualifying rides so far this year. Weekly target 100 km; total to date: 4,286 km. Average progress now = 104.5%; last week = 104. 5%. Total ride time approximately 256½ hrs.

PS Special characters to copy and paste for ride durations - ¼ ½ ¾ !

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 42: 10 rides over 30 mins, including one Lunacy Distance ride; distance cycled 200.59km

Weeks 1 to 42: total distance cycled 11054km

A mostly wet week but Monday’s ride from Cadoret to St Caradec (and back) before the rain arrived was one of my most enjoyable rides of the year.

More details (and photos) of that ride here, if you’re interested

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-2257#post-7287294

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Three rides again this week. I'm back home so they were all on the Dawes. I've now done enough comparable rides on the Brompton and Dawes to know that it's the Dawes setup that sets off my back pain and not just distance ridden on any bike. So I've started by rotating the bars on the Dawes a bit to see if that helps. Now just need a day with less wind to try it out.

FrothNinja

Veteran
W42R1- Centurion 39 mins - local miles
W42R2 - Centurion 35 mins - local miles
W42R3 - CX 55 mins - local work commute
W42R4 - CX 1 hour 4 mins - Colne loop
241018 PHC.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Week 42: 3 qualifying rides, only 63 km ('stuff' distracted me!) in 3¼ hrs.

Ride 1 (Mon): 17 km. ELLL. ¾ hr.
Ride 2 (Thu): 26 km. To Hebden Bridge and back, plus another loop from Todmorden. 1½ hrs.
Ride 3 (Sun): 20 km. Littleborough via Calderbrook and Caldermoor, back via Summit. 1 hr.

All rides on my 6-er.

Success rate: 42 weeks out of 42.

155 qualifying rides so far this year. Weekly target 100 km; total to date: 4,349 km. Average progress now = 103.5%; last week = 104. 5%. Total ride time approximately 259¾ hrs.

PS Special characters to copy and paste for ride durations - ¼ ½ ¾ !

Top Bottom