The smell of sweat!...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Guru
Thanks for the pointers, will definitely pick up another helmet since I've still got a few £'s on my cyclescheme voucher. I'll have a search for ways to clean backpacks or get a washable one if such things exist. Like Drago, I get sweaty regardless and just don't like the aesthetic of panniers so will hold off on that unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the pointers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Get a rack.

Work on backing off the effort levels. For some feedback maybe use a heart rate monitor and aim to stay in zone 2.

Mazz

w.r.t. stinky bike helmet - I've taken to wearing a fabric cycling cap underneath the helmet.
They weigh next to nothing and most of the sweat ends up on the cap, which is dead easy to wash.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
w.r.t. stinky bike helmet - I've taken to wearing a fabric cycling cap underneath the helmet.
They weigh next to nothing and most of the sweat ends up on the cap, which is dead easy to wash.

Same. I use a skull cap. Also helps absorb sweat for the air flow to evaporate it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nobody should wear anything underneath a helmet whose instructions say not to, for risk of weakening the retention system.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW..

Merino base layer can go for weeks before it stinks. If it's cold and I have another layer on above, this comes off when I get to work to allow me to cool down and everything to air. Trousers are lightweight synthetic jobs which again dry quickly and don't tend to hold odour.

Typically the Brompton runs a front bag so there's no constant bodily contact with luggage.

Dommo

Veteran
I still use a backpack rather than racks, panniers etc. My solution was to buy one of the those large washable fabric mesh bag. I can then stick the backpack into the mesh bag and chuck it in the washing machine. The mesh bag keeps all the dangly, clippy type things destroying my washing machine.

Dadam

Über Member
I now swear by Osprey backpacks with the Airscape system. With regular laptop backpacks my back was soaked all the time so I went to rack and pannier. But when my new cyclescheme bike came without any attachment points for racks, and the seatpost attaching rack the shop sourced wasn't suitable I bought an Osprey Metron 24 and it was a revelation. No sweaty back and it's the most comfortable bag I've ever worn, I sometimes even forget I'm wearing it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I now swear by Osprey backpacks with the Airscape system. With regular laptop backpacks my back was soaked all the time so I went to rack and pannier. But when my new cyclescheme bike came without any attachment points for racks, and the seatpost attaching rack the shop sourced wasn't suitable I bought an Osprey Metron 24 and it was a revelation. No sweaty back and it's the most comfortable bag I've ever worn, I sometimes even forget I'm wearing it.
It looks really good, but the price... Ouch! :eek:

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Guru

Nice recommendation and I think I may just adopt to using two rucksacks so I could get this Osprey one for cycling and use my existing Nordace for busses, trains and walking.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Sunlight kills bacteria; you could get a backpack with a ‘bridge’ to keep it away from your back; a friend swears by wearing a bandana ‘pirate’ style under his helmet.
Good luck!

lazybloke

Priest of the cult of Chris Rea
Thought my pits smelled bad yesterday, or perhaps it was an odour ingrained in my clothing?
Neither; my teenaged son was a bit ripe. He went through the sheep dip (aka shower) later; and order was restored to this part of the universe.

PS Is it just my imagination, or is traditional soap MUCH better at cleaning the human body than shower gel, Dove soap, etc.?

Top Bottom