The smell of sweat!...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
So, as I've started getting fitter and adding a few miles onto my commute instead of going direct to and from work it has become apparent that the smell of sweat on my gear is becoming more obvious.

Now for my bike clothes and gloves, no problems just wash them and we're all good and I've got a couple of pairs of mtb shoes so I can alternate those. However, things like my backpack (straps and back) and helmet are not immune to this, and I come seeking some suggestions. I've taken to using a bit of febreeze on my gear to try and take the edge off, but it only goes so far. I appreciate a panier rack would help, but I'm not a big fan of having extra stuff attached to my bike, plus I'm already pushing the frame given my current weight and cycling slower doesn't seem to be an option as I subconsciously push myself, even when I think I'll take it easy.

What other tips and tricks do all you regular commuters have to combat the smell?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I prefer a rack and panniers so i dont get sweaty back syndrome

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A rack need not add much weight and it normally pushes down on the rear axle not the seatpost and frame like a worn bag does, so it would reduce the load on the frame.

I'd also consider getting some psychological help for being unable to stop pushing yourself because one day your health may fail and then pushing yourself too hard on the bike will either do you a serious mischief or make you scared to ride.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Surely the weight will be the same if the gear is on your back or on a rack? racks dont weigh much its the contents of the panniers.
Get another helmet and rotate them or rinse yours off every night and leave it to dry on a towel.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe wear a buff or cap to soak up sweat before the helmet gets it?
+1 on rack for commuting, especially if carrying anything hard like a laptop on your back

simongt

Guru
Clothing made from synthetic materials, even now harbours the smell of stale sweat; sweat itself doesn't smell, it's the bacteria always present on your body that causes the smell.
Thus, unless you wash your clothing after pretty much every ride, it's a consequence of life - ! :eek:
However, there's no excuse for smelling of several days old stale sweat as the occasional bod does. :dry:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Rack, as the bike is built to take the load, and doesn't sweat. Several helmets in rotation? An excuse to buy several helmets, if you like that sort of thing, and give them a good airing between rides. Perhaps someone can suggest a helmet that isn't made of insulating material, or has better than average ventilation. Or, ditch the helmet, unless you have an emotional attachment to it. At least you can avoid the sweaty helmet jokes. You can easily wash a cap or caps when it starts to attract too many flies, or it exceeds the pong threshold.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
My helmet has removable strips inside - attached with velcro. I assume that's something to do with cleaning. I'm never fast enough to worry about sweating though.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used a rucksack on the basis that I sweated on a ride whether I wore one or not, so sucked it up to keep the bike feeling light and lively beneath me.

A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in the machine with your sweaty codpiece will fix it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used a rucksack on the basis that I sweated on a ride whether I wore one or not, so sucked it up to keep the bike feeling light and lively beneath me.

A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in the machine with your sweaty codpiece will fix it.

i did try a backpack to start with but my back was literally soaked with sweat , each to their own of course

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You might want some extra chest strap to pull the backpack away from arm pits, or just wash it occasionally - down side is it won't be waterproof. Wash cycling kit every day, and get your shoes dry quickly. Avoid getting them soaked - overshoes.

Sharky

Guru
Surely the weight will be the same if the gear is on your back or on a rack? racks dont weigh much its the contents of the panniers.
Get another helmet and rotate them or rinse yours off every night and leave it to dry on a towel.

Maybe the same weight, but every time you flex your back, get out of the saddle etc, you are lifting the weight of the back pack.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Merino baselayer and socks / rack / wet wipes for helmet and wipe down at work B4 change of clothes on arrival , hang cycle gear to air at work..

Top Bottom