The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
The RFU have sold the naming rights for Twickenham to Allianz.
Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I just can’t see anyone actually calling it anything other than twickenham or HQ.

Nope. The only two stadiums (in England) I can think of off the top of my head that get called their sponsors names are The Emirates and The Etihad.

Depends how strict the sponsors are I suppose. Ashley tried to be with "Sports Direct .com at St James' Park" but everyone laughed at him.

And nobody in their right mind is everything referring to "Billy Bowie Special Projects at Rugby Park", but I think he knows that, and that's why he hasn't plastered his branding all over the stands.

He hasn't even on our awesome monster truck either.

973fabb5e5d2b4403d22092c3659306260c5d842.jpg

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Nope. The only two stadiums (in England) I can think of off the top of my head that get called their sponsors names are The Emirates and The Etihad.

I think you can get away with it on a new stadium like the Etihad and Emirates. As no one has really called it anything else.

No one calls The Oval by its sponsors name of The Kia Oval. And apparently Murrayfield is currently named the Scottish Gas Murrayfield Stadium, which just rolls off the tongue.

The sponsors must feel they get some benefit, but I’m not sure what it is.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
So what are fans pet names for their grounds - or opponent's grounds?

Falkirk (the Bairns) refer to the Falkirk Stadium as the Bairnebau. Livingston have The Tony Macaroni Arena, more commonly called the Spaghetti Bowl.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Calling the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff "Cardiff Arms Park" is always good for a few "well, actually" responses.

Calling it the Principality Stadium, which I think is its proper name unless it has changed, will do fine I think with most people but I always think of it as the Millennium Stadium. Cos I'm slow on the uptake.

Alex321

Guru
Calling the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff "Cardiff Arms Park" is always good for a few "well, actually" responses.

Calling it the Principality Stadium, which I think is its proper name unless it has changed, will do fine I think with most people but I always think of it as the Millennium Stadium. Cos I'm slow on the uptake.

I spent the day on a works do in the actual Cardiff Arms Park (next door to the Millennium Stadium of course) in May.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Argentina beat NZ in NZ. 30-38.
That puts the England summer tour into some perspective.

Top Bottom