The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
I:hello: good morning. Very still and looks like it might be a bright day.

The pigeons are eating my newly sown grass seed. Some string, canes and netting required later.

Huge pile of ironing and the cleaning to finish off today. :sad:

screenman

Legendary Member
Worry is over we bought 3 rolls from the Pound shop. Well that and a new nightdress (no) some new tops, some underwear and I seem to think there was something else. I refuse to buy any new clothes for myself until I get to Turkey in a couple of months time, way better price and quality out there.

screenman

Legendary Member
I:hello: good morning. Very still and looks like it might be a bright day.

The pigeons are eating my newly sown grass seed. Some string, canes and netting required later.

Huge pile of ironing and the cleaning to finish off today. :sad:

I put some Wilko's grass seed down 6 weeks ago, I am tempted to rake it up and take it back, not only has very litle of it germintated even the birds have shown no interest.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Worry is over we bought 3 rolls from the Pound shop. Well that and a new nightdress (no) some new tops, some underwear and I seem to think there was something else. I refuse to buy any new clothes for myself until I get to Turkey in a couple of months time, way better price and quality out there.
I can just picture you in a Kaftan, fez and baggy pants....... saying "so what, they were cheap and they're good quality :rolleyes:.
Dont forget to post photos^_^

Dave7

Legendary Member
I put some Wilko's grass seed down 6 weeks ago, I am tempted to rake it up and take it back, not only has very litle of it germintated even the birds have shown no interest.
You would assume seed would be seed but obviously its one of those 'get what you pay for' things.
I bought some fat blocks (bird food) from Home Bargains. Again, you would think fat was fat.......the birds were not interested.

PaulSB

Squire
You would assume seed would be seed but obviously its one of those 'get what you pay for' things.
I bought some fat blocks (bird food) from Home Bargains. Again, you would think fat was fat.......the birds were not interested.

There is no doubt seed quality can vary enormously. As a former professional we expected germination of 90%+ and often near 100%

For amateurs I would argue 50% averaged across the range would be acceptable. This year I've used Kings Seeds exclusively. The germination rates are appalling - in some instances 1-5 seedlings from a packet.

I will be writing to them, especially as I've found fundamental errors on their seed packets. If Kings can't quality control their packaging it's hard to imagine the product is correctly monitored.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
There is no doubt seed quality can vary enormously. As a former professional we expected germination of 90%+ and often near 100%

For amateurs I would argue 50% averaged across the range would be acceptable. This year I've used Kings Seeds exclusively. The germination rates are appalling - in some instances 1-5 seedlings from a packet.

I will be writing to them, especially as I've found fundamental errors on their seed packets. If Kings can't quality control their packaging it's hard to imagine the product is correctly monitored.
I planted 20 seeds from a fresh red pepper I bought at the start of the year.
18 of them are growing strong!

Top Bottom