The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The class 31 stands out like a sore thumb

Not as much as the eejits in high bloody viz, and there aren't even wearing helmets either!! :rolleyes::giggle:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Thought that was the purpose of Hi-Vis!

Yebbut a '31 is a '31, people have a choice though.... :laugh:

Besides, that is none other than D5500 (although I think it is carrying it's post 1974 number of 31018.... I think), the doyen of a class which over 50 years later is still working in service, so except for the livery making it stand out, it has just as much right being there as anything else, it owes the country nothing, and in fact, to me, it is the Chinese loco* and the Shinkansen in the background that stick out like sore thumbs.

* - Although it is an example of a loco built for export, I get it.

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
Here is another Class 31 at Lydney , I really don't like the colours! I prefer BR green and yellow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
As I remember, only one '31 was painted in EWS - 31466..... THAT!

I'd rather it was kept in a livery like that as there are far too many green or blue examples out there in preservation as it is!!
The same applies to many other classes, half of them are in '50s, '60s, '70s or '80s condition, but there are only a handful for the (more colourful) period after that.

You want a green '31?? Well, leave 31466 alone and go see the umpteen others clogging the preserved railways up instead!! :rolleyes:

Yes yes, I know it is all down to the owners and all the rest, but really, there tends to be such a complete lack of imagination in the preservation world, and quite honestly, I feel heartened when I see see something in a livery other than green or blue.
The Network Southeast liveried Thumper on the Epping - Ongar railway for example is a great example!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I will give you a true example of this lack of imagination in action:

There were a handful of class 20s that worked in France for a few years, they were modernised, carried new liveries, etc etc.
So, when they were withdrawn, some were preserved and brought back from France, and, what did the new owners do?? Did they keep them in their French condition as different, vibrant and dynamic locos?? Did they keep them as locos worth going to see?? Locos worth talking about??

No, they returned or are intending to return them all to 'British' condition, as if there is a shortage of them!!

They had locos that would have stood out, would have been something worth seeing, but..... NO!! That would have involved just a tiny little bit of imagination, and we can't have that, can we?? (Admittedly, one is now working on the Underground and was in that Blue red and white Tube livery).

This is one of them (with a couple of admittedly non green or blue '20s keeping it company).

image.jpg

My God, I'd have repainted it in that French livery, added all the various pieces back onto it such as the plates and company plaque, seen removed from the front, etc etc, and just kept it as is!

* - All info correct at time of reading it anyway, and I do hope that someone does change their mind and keep one of them as is!

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Coras Impoir Eirann is supposed to be due to receive at least one class 20. Which livery it'll end up wearing is another matter.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Coras Impoir Eirann is supposed to be due to receive at least one class 20. Which livery it'll end up wearing is another matter.

Well, since they have got rid of a lot of their locos, that would be perverse beyond words, especially as it would need to be regauged too!!

....... Really? They are sending a '20 to Ireland?? I can't think of anything more retarded! :wacko:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Most of their stock is that old, that simply maintaning is hard enough.
Two General Electric units are currently in use, on the freight side of operations. Newer passenger rolling stock is ex Virgin stock.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Most of their stock is that old, that simply maintaning is hard enough.
Two General Electric units are currently in use, on the freight side of operations.

Yes they had/have all those GMs, most dating from the '60/'70s onwards right up until the '201s of the mid '90s, so why in the name of buggery would they then choose an English Electric loco which has absolutely no amount of spares already in the country!!

Newer passenger rolling stock is ex Virgin stock.

Is it? They have had mk2s and '3s for years, since new practically!

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes they had/have all those GMs, most dating from the '60/'70s onwards right up until the '201s of the mid '90s, so why in the name of buggery would they then choose an English Electric loco which has absolutely no amount of spares already in the country!!

Is it? They have had mk2s and '3s for years, since new practically!
On the Dublin-Limerick/Cork run, its ex-Virgin stock.

Top Bottom