The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
A few locomotives randomly placed in Belgrade

10389143_10152625194003330_8808554378713427904_n.jpg

Outside of Serbian National Railways' headquarters

10520654_10152625194438330_1097364060907037804_n.jpg

At the front of Belgrade station

10334348_10152625192538330_877724689579398555_n.jpg

At the rear of Belgrade station. This locomotive was used to pull Tito's personal train.

10527421_10152625193793330_1478539634247088318_n.jpg

Here's one that I prepared earlier :
1986 Belgrade steam.jpg

taken just south of Belgrade from the Istanbul train in 1986.

One of the JZ class 62 tanks that were based on the American locomotives supplied to Europe at the end of WW2 (including the Southern Railway in the UK).

classic33

Leg End Member
No, not like Green Arrow. It was designed for heavy duty passenger work and develops nearly 10,000 lbs more tractive effort than a V2 and 8,000 more than an A4. That was the original of course - the new one is going to be improved a bit.^_^

Edit: posted a bit slow.

Designed for use in Scotland & later rebuilt with one set of driving wheels removed. "Cock O'North" being one of them.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
OMG.. Just looked at the link. !!!

Not only did I look at the link, I recognise the building where the construction is taking place. It is at the end of the street where I was brought up and directly opposite a set of sidings that no longer exist that were used to store steam locomotives prior to them being cut up. It's a building associated with the Stockton and Darlington Railway and opposite North Road Station, Darlington. We used to push trucks along the sidings up a gentle gradient and ride back to the buffer stops on them.

Happy days!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
We used to push trucks along the sidings up a gentle gradient and ride back to the buffer stops on them.

Happy days!
Really?!! :ohmy:

Edit: That sounds like the kind of thing that would bring a modern-day Health and Safety manager out in a rash (what if you fall off and lose a leg under a wheel, etc. etc.)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Interesting.

So what's with the big 6 being restored ? There have been a couple of events the last couple of years in York.

Would like to take my dad on something really special, but not for loads of hours ?
The "Big 6" are the last remaining A4's.

"Hogwarts Castle" isn't a Castle Class either, its a Hall Class.

For you 'enthusiasts', we were chuffed along with these two a couple of weeks back...

We live within a few hundred yards of one of the pick-up Stations on the 'Scarborough Spa Express' route
http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/scarborough-spa-express/scarborough-spa-express-details.cfm

Whilst last year, it seemed to invariably be (Ian Rileys) 'Lancashire Fusilier', with perhaps appearances by 'Scots Guardsman'
http://www.rileyandson.co.uk/html/45407.html

Sometimes, the coaching stocking still had various logos on it - see attachment
'Scots Guardsman' could also put on a good display!!!!! (my 'Desk-Top')

Railways. BR. 46115. Scots Guardsman. 7.JPG Railways. BR. 46115. Scots Guardsman. 15.JPG

The 'Scarborough Flyer' also passes through (non-stop), this always seemed to have 'Duchess of Sutherland' on duty. or 'Princess Elizabeth'

Alycidon'
has put in an appearance there too
Railways. BR. D9009. Alycidon. 3.JPG Railways. BR. 46233. Duchess Of Sutherland. 3.JPG

Attachments

• Railways. BR. 46115. Scots Guardsman. 7.JPG
    Railways. BR. 46115. Scots Guardsman. 7.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 14

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Triple headers are unusual, but for safety reasons they don't want the train stopped anywhere, so the DRS services in and out of Sellafield always have two engines on them. I'd assume that the third was either being relocated, or the three flasks (with a dead loco) would be too heavy to pull by the one remaining loco.

A couple months back I watched a train pulling into the Sellafield sidings on my way back from a bike ride. From the North bound line they have to do a sort of zig-zag where they pull up to the National Rail station, then reverse down the South line a bit, pull forward and over onto a third line (siding), reverse back on this line and then finally forward through the site gates, manned by armed police. Quite an operation really :smile:
A bit more. This train passed me at Ravenglass station yesterday
IMG_20140805_172339.jpg

IMG_20140805_172344.jpg

172traindriver

Legendary Member
The 37s look odd with those little top lights above the cab. Mind you, some time since I've seen a 37 in working order.

They pass through Worcester regularly hauling the flasks. Always double headed and they will be class 20's or 37's. They come from down south west and up to Cumbria. I had one of their lads on a route refresh jump in the cab with me over the part of the route I sign.

Triple headers are unusual, but for safety reasons they don't want the train stopped anywhere, so the DRS services in and out of Sellafield always have two engines on them. I'd assume that the third was either being relocated, or the three flasks (with a dead loco) would be too heavy to pull by the one remaining loco.

A couple months back I watched a train pulling into the Sellafield sidings on my way back from a bike ride. From the North bound line they have to do a sort of zig-zag where they pull up to the National Rail station, then reverse down the South line a bit, pull forward and over onto a third line (siding), reverse back on this line and then finally forward through the site gates, manned by armed police. Quite an operation really :smile:

Not exactly a triple header but three syphon's, two hauling one pushing.

Thrashtastic

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kCPN2th9l4

Top Bottom