The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Post that on the bad music thread!!
Its a Percy French Classic.
First class passengers remain seated.
Second class passengers get off & walk.
Third class passengers get off and shove!

Used to have it on a small recorder when I used to work in Leeds & was travelling by train. Delays & stoppages meant it was played more than once on a packed early morning train, going nowhere.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What railway company had a cow on the staff list?

My sister has never worked on the railways so I don't know! :giggle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Father's Day yesterday and my Dad wanted to visit the Severn Valley Railway so here are a few snaps from the day:

DSC0001136.jpg

Waiting for the off at Arley.

DSC0001141.jpg

Battle of Britain class "Sir Keith Park" arrives.

DSC0001143.jpg

Waiting to cross with another train before proceeding.

DSC0001147.jpg

The "Severn Valley Limited" dining train finally arrives hauled by Erlestoke Manor.

DSC0001154.jpg

1501 again at Bewdley. This engine is fairly special to my family as we collected newspapers for years to help towards the restoration. (Back in the days when there was money in recycling newspapers.)

DSC0001157.jpg

Just waiting for permission to proceed.
DSC0001164.jpg

We chased the train up the valley allowing me to get this shot of 1501 powering up Eardington Bank.

DSC0001165.jpg

At Bridgnorth this was tucked out of the way - a replica of Richard Trevithick's locomotive from 1808: "Catch Me Who Can"

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
View attachment 47893 View attachment 47894

Was in Swanage over the weekend, the steam railway goes through our campsite...was a lovely view. We went on the train on Saturday, my little girl loved it...

I remember that moquette she's sitting on from the '80s/'90s, and what's more she almost has a matching t - shirt!!:laugh:

Lovely picture of your daughter there by the way!!

The last time I saw Eddystone was when it was lined up with several other 'Merchant Navy' and West Country classes at the Eastleigh (Southampton) Open day in 2009. Such an amazing sight!!

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 3135120, member: 45"]Those class 15s are powerful boys.[/QUOTE]
It certainly took off pretty smartly from each stop and didn't appear to be working that hard to do so either.:thumbsup:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 3135149, member: 45"]I believe they've got the boiler from a Manor on. Ideal for preserved lines that need power without speed.[/QUOTE]
The information I've got to hand is that it's a standard No. 10 boiler which is the same as the 2251 and 9400 classes. It's a high performing boiler (the 2251's were nicknamed Baby Castles because they steamed so well) but not as big as the standard No. 14 on the Manors.

You're right - this would be ideal for a lot of preserved lines. With the current trend for building new locomotives we could see a new batch built yet.:laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 3135182, member: 45"]They're building a prairie just for that purpose aren't they?[/QUOTE]
Yes and to to be honest it's a more suitable engine as it'll have the performance to do outings on the main line as well. I saw the frames at Bridgnorth (no photos though). They seem to be making good progress. The project website is here.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Last edited:
Top Bottom