The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Add various people, like.... Oh I don't know.... Leader of the No 'campaign Alistair Darling (never trust a man who looks like a Badger).... Tony Blair (the clue is in his name for crying out loud!!) or...... Gordon Brown (*A tumbleweed rolls past*)!! :whistle:
Your list could go on to add most politicians

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I don't know about Black 5s', but certainly when Blue Peter had its nightmare slip at Durham in 1994, the reverser was suddenly pushed open due to the amount of pressure, breaking the Driver's arms.

Seemingly there is a certain way to deal with wheelslip on it that is different to other loco types and the driver, being inexperienced on the loco did the opposite of what he should have seeing as the right way would have been counterintuitive to him.....:

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E54HUQYeFNg

The two ways of dealing with wheelslip is of course to close the regulator. If the loco has primed, ie the water in the boiler has sloshed up into the dome after a heavy/jerky start, then it may not be able to close the regulator, if this is the case, as it was with the Blue Peter incident, then the valve gear should be closed to maximum cut off so very little steam is getting into the cylinders. and open the steam cocks to release the pressure. This has to be done very quickly once the wheelslip is out of control. The Driver of Blue Peter had his arm broken by the regulator handle flying back so was probably unable to do much else as the valve gear, connecting rods and cylinders self destructed and the axles turned on the driving wheels. The last line of defence is to drop the fire to stop any more damage to the boiler and locomotive.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The two ways of dealing with wheelslip is of course to close the regulator. If the loco has primed, ie the water in the boiler has sloshed up into the dome after a heavy/jerky start, then it may not be able to close the regulator, if this is the case, as it was with the Blue Peter incident, then the valve gear should be closed to maximum cut off so very little steam is getting into the cylinders. and open the steam cocks to release the pressure. This has to be done very quickly once the wheelslip is out of control. The Driver of Blue Peter had his arm broken by the regulator handle flying back so was probably unable to do much else as the valve gear, connecting rods and cylinders self destructed and the axles turned on the driving wheels. The last line of defence is to drop the fire to stop any more damage to the boiler and locomotive.

Which may be, but what the description at the end of the video talks about sounds more like the reverser.
Of course, I know almost nothing of the layout of this loco, so it may have been completely different from what I've driven in the past.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'm not sure which is more outrageous, that the characteristic sound is gone, or that they were so short of motive power that they only had one power unit pushing at the back. :ohmy:

The two PCs at the front were certainly working (such is the sh*tty sound of the new MTUs, it is understandable you might think they weren't :laugh:). Yes, an HST can operate with only one Power car (PC), but it will not be able to keep time, particularly on certain routes.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Add various people, like.... Oh I don't know.... Leader of the No 'campaign Alistair Darling (never trust a man who looks like a Badger).... Tony Blair (the clue is in his name for crying out loud!!) or...... Gordon Brown (*A tumbleweed rolls past*)!! :whistle:

Oh no...... Don't tell me...... They are 'different'...... :rolleyes::evil:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I bought this old Glasgow area timetable off Ebay with the intention of getting it framed.

Well, today, it arrived from the framers (apologies for the crap pictures).....:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It is for some of my local services!!

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
wadebridge.jpeg

We visited The Mid-Hants Railway (Watercress Line) last Sunday. For Christmas, I had been given a voucher for Sunday lunch in a vintage dining car pulled by the Wadebridge, a steam locomotive built in 1945. The line runs for ten miles through lovely Hampshire countryside between Alresford and Alton and over the course of about three and a half hours it makes two round trips. If you Google Watercress Line you can find details. At the end of the trip I was was having a closer look at the locomotive when the fireman invited me up onto the footplate to inspect the controls. Oh joy! Here's an archive photo.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
View attachment 47475

We visited The Mid-Hants Railway (Watercress Line) last Sunday. For Christmas, I had been given a voucher for Sunday lunch in a vintage dining car pulled by the Wadebridge, a steam locomotive built in 1945. The line runs for ten miles through lovely Hampshire countryside between Alresford and Alton and over the course of about three and a half hours it makes two round trips. If you Google Watercress Line you can find details. At the end of the trip I was was having a closer look at the locomotive when the fireman invited me up onto the footplate to inspect the controls. Oh joy! Here's an archive photo.

:wub:

Wadebridge, 'zat a 'West Country??

Top Bottom