The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd love a ride in the BUFF. You know you're on the losing side when you look up and see the Big Stick flying over, much like the Argentian conscripts knew the world was surely ending when the Vulcan howled past. Peace through superior firepower.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
All (afaik) the new generation of long haul aircraft are 2 engines nowadays, hence the demise of Jumbos and the like. They are so powerful and efficient (compared to) engines of 20, 30 years ago, so reliable that 4 engines are no longer deemed necessary even for aircraft that have effectively replaced 747s etc.
Yes, Virgin Atlantic had to do a bit of rapid backtracking a few years ago when first started flying the A330:

4Engines4LongHaul.jpg

Bristolian

An Airbus Beluga flew into and out of Heathrow yesterday for the first time. It's amazing that just two engines can get it airborne.
This was a couple of years ago. It was the Beluga's last visit to Filton airfield before the runway was officially decommissioned ready for a huge housing estate to go up - they're still building it. The picture was published in the Bristol Post (and I got paid) :smile:
Beauty and the Beast -
Beluga.jpg

Concorde is now housed in a specially built hangar as part of the Bristol Aerospace museum and open for visitors to board and walk through the passenger cabin. They've put Perspex across the entrance to the cockpit but you get a good view of the flightdeck. She was the last Concorde in the air on the day BA pensioned off the last of the fleet.

Bristolian

I'd love a ride in the BUFF. You know you're on the losing side when you look up and see the Big Stick flying over, much like the Argentian conscripts knew the world was surely ending when the Vulcan howled past. Peace through superior firepower.
True story; in 1992 my son was an Army Cadet RSM "working" at RIAT (at Boscombe Down) and he spent several days helping out with the B52 flying display flight. At the end of the display weekend he introduced my wife and I to the Colonel in charge of the display team and we shared several hours in their company, eating their BBQ and drinking their beers. About a week later I got a call from my wife whilst I was at work saying I needed to call a number in the USA. As I was in charge of sales in the USA at the time I didn't think anything of it and duly called the number expecting a customer to be at the other end. To my surprise the Colonel we'd met at RIAT answered and asked if David (my son) had a passport, which he did, and could he get some time off school, which he could in those days. Two days later he was picked up from home by an Air Force Master Sergeant and whisked off to RAF Fairford where he boarded a B52 and got strapped in for take-off - he got off the plane in Barksdale AFB (Louisiana), home of the 2nd Bomb Wing. We didn't see him again until the following week when he was delivered back to home. He still doesn't like flying :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
During Operation Arclight, you didn't see or hear the B52s, as they flew so high. The world just suddenly exploded around you.

gbb

Squire
True story; in 1992 my son was an Army Cadet RSM "working" at RIAT (at Boscombe Down) and he spent several days helping out with the B52 flying display flight. At the end of the display weekend he introduced my wife and I to the Colonel in charge of the display team and we shared several hours in their company, eating their BBQ and drinking their beers. About a week later I got a call from my wife whilst I was at work saying I needed to call a number in the USA. As I was in charge of sales in the USA at the time I didn't think anything of it and duly called the number expecting a customer to be at the other end. To my surprise the Colonel we'd met at RIAT answered and asked if David (my son) had a passport, which he did, and could he get some time off school, which he could in those days. Two days later he was picked up from home by an Air Force Master Sergeant and whisked off to RAF Fairford where he boarded a B52 and got strapped in for take-off - he got off the plane in Barksdale AFB (Louisiana), home of the 2nd Bomb Wing. We didn't see him again until the following week when he was delivered back to home. He still doesn't like flying :laugh:

Crikey, there's a life story he can tell that very few people will trump.

gbb

Squire
Busy out on adsb this morning, heard an unmistakable Merlin over Peterborough, turned out to be a Spitfire out of Sywell, Northants.
While I was looking there were
2x Raf Grob trainers near Grantham
A400M flew over Peterborough
2x Typhoons near Grantham
Consolidated Catalina was airborne out of Duxford. That is a very graceful aircraft to watch...

Tuesday 17th @ 16:45

A Spitfire has just flown over!!!

Given that wing shape it can’t be anything else!!’

Heading north-west

EDIT @ 17:10
One of my colleagues has responded to my FB question about this, & pics

Even rarer, it’s a 2-seater!!!!

IMG_1470.jpeg

IMG_1471.jpeg

Plus a screenshot

Flights from (ex RAF) Church Fenton, now ‘Leeds East Airport’

https://www.spitfires.com/sm520

IMG_1469.jpeg

Wife & daughter have a year to organise a flight for me, for my 60th
I already have a sheepskin flying jacket in a wardrobe (aka ‘Flossie’)

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10224944869801264&set=a.10224869887166745

I knew l bought it for a good reason, about 30 years ago!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom