The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
So he understands how all that works, but claims not to understand that the Irish DVLA do not issue HGV licences in exchange for cash and are not based in a back room of The Leprechaun and Wino public house :laugh:

gbb

Squire
Can helicopters potentially fly as high up as planes or do they always fly at lower altitudes?

Working on a very simple theory, and happy to be corrected, higher altitude requires a pressurised aircraft (for comfort at least). I wouldnt think most helicopters have pressurised airframes..

But that's just a passing thought, no more.
That said, they do use them on Everest rescues so it's do-able.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Working on a very simple theory, and happy to be corrected, higher altitude requires a pressurised aircraft (for comfort at least). I wouldn't think most helicopters have pressurised airframes..
Chicken-and-egg.

It's not that the lack of pressurisation prevents them from flying high.

It's that a helicopter's role doesn't require it to fly high, therefore they don't need to be pressurised.

Just as well, really. ‘Never trust an aircraft whose wings move faster than its fuselage’.

I have heard a Shackleton described as

40,000 rivets flying in (relatively) close formation

does that count???

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
In a previous job, I spent a bit of time flying around in unpressurised planes at 15,000 feet.

Apart from being bl**dy cold (the reason for being that high was to save fuel, and that included not having the cabin heating on), it was surprisingly difficult to do even simple stuff like making coffees for the chaps.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
15,000 feet is a bit high for full cognitive function, isn't it? Commercial airliners are pressurised to the minimum that most people find comfortable, which is about 8,000 feet equivalent. I've been on mountains at 10,000 feet and it's ok until you try to walk uphill quickly ^_^

15,000 feet is a bit high for full cognitive function, isn't it? Commercial airliners are pressurised to the minimum that most people find comfortable, which is about 8,000 feet equivalent. I've been on mountains at 10,000 feet and it's ok until you try to walk uphill quickly ^_^

Our apartment is about 1000ft above sea level and that's often a bit high for my cognitive function.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Our apartment is about 1000ft above sea level and that's often a bit high for my cognitive function.

Wossercogn’tivefunkshun?

WW1 pilots flew without pressurised cockpits, and around 15,000 feet was their limit - but they were sitting down. Higher altitudes were reached, especially by aircraft with oxygen equipment, but usual altitude was 10,000 feet or less.

Top Bottom