The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No helmets for kids in parks, the increased risk of strangulation is the clincher there.
Stop posting proven fact

theclaud

Openly Marxist
TBH, I thought my Giant Mushroom observation upthread would have put the debate to bed by now.

TMN to Adrian, by the way.

How's that so? I use PPE with my chainsaw, I use it for many other things aswell, I use a bike helmet when I'm flying along through the woods on my mtb and use a bike helmet when I'm on my road bike.
I don't use PPE when I'm walking down the street because it doesn't have the risk associated with it. Despite your "occasional" Good Samaritan work regarding ice, good for you by the way for helping.

So far from what I'm seeing some of you refuse to wear a helmet when cycling because you've never had a beneficial result from it and then take it further by saying stuff like "I've never cut myself while chain sawing so why should I wear safety trousers"?

Firstly you are aware that cycle helmets were excluded ss PPE by the HSE?

Secondly you argument is flawed and contradicts (again) your previous claims

PPE is a final resort for when you cannot reduce or prevent a accident the points that you have denied or ignored throughout

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Lets go back to basics....

There is a bike with badly adjusted brakes that gets involved in an accident because it cannot stop
There is a second bike with well adjusted brakes that can stop and thus does not have the accident

Which is the more sensible approach

Riding a well adjusted bike or mitigating the effect of poor adjustment by wearing a helmet
What happens if you have a "high speed" puncture and rapid deflation on the well adjusted bike? How does "sensible" have anything to do with it? Oh I know, avoid running over the offending item that caused the puncture, right?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
[QUOTE="Cunobelin, post: 3944454, member: 363

PPE is a final resort for when you cannot reduce or prevent a accident the points that you have denied or ignored throughout[/QUOTE]
I haven't denied or ignored anything, accidents can happen by chance, you can do all the prevention you like and it wouldn't have made a jot of difference. I choose to wear a helmet on some rides because I believe it may be of some benefit if I fall off, just like I'll wear the chainsaw trousers or safety glasses or gloves etc etc, if you don't have this attitude that's your prerogative. If I slip over on ice whilst walking and split my head open then that's life I'm afraid.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In 2008 there was a campaign to promote the wearing of helmets in Denmark. Cycling numbers in Copenhagen fell.

What are these people thinking?
winter_cycling_copenhagenize_design_company-41.jpg

Not just not wearing helmets but not even wearing proper cycling kit, let alone proper winter cycling kit.

Clearly they can teach us nothing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What happens if you have a "high speed" puncture and rapid deflation on the well adjusted bike? How does "sensible" have anything to do with it? Oh I know, avoid running over the offending item that caused the puncture, right?
Quantify the difference wearing a ceiling tile on your head would make to the injuries you'd sustain in such a high speed crash please....

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's just another aspect of life completely unrelated to cycling,
You keep saying this... but may i remind you that the title of this thread is not "The Great CycleChat Cycling Helmet Debate" but is "The Great CycleChat Helmet Debate". Of course you'll disregard this comment as it doesn't fit with your very narrow view of what the debate should be about.

Top Bottom