The Campervan Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Time for another of Old Man Drago's (c) patented motoring themed threads.

This one's for campervans, which I'll define for this purpose a based upon or converted from a van, and retaining the van's original body, albeit potentially modified for pop tops, etc.

As you were.

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I currently have a 3 year old who would wake up the whole campsite when she is told she can't watch Peppa Pig at 5am. But this is a long term plan for me so I will watch this thread and look forward to a couple of years time when I plan to do a conversion.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm my old motorhome we set up Mini D in the awning. She was about 5, first time she'd been camping, and as the sun rose at 4am she suddenly sat bolt upright in bed and shouted...

"I LOVE CAMPING!",waking up all of Kent east of the Medway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's an option for me. Either a van (people carrier type with seats) I can pop in a fold out bed or a bigger camper. A VW Transporter is not on the cards as it would be two small to carry bikes and a SUP.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm looking at T6.1s. A LWB better for overnight stays, SWB better for daily use as it'll replace the Mini for my one or two odd journeys each weeks. I can't afford to run four vehicles, and as lovely as the Volvo is it's practically worthless, so it's the Mini getting the chop.

Bikes aren't such an issue for me as I'd use my trusty folder.

Anyway, van shopping today, got 3 to look at.

Adam4868

Guru
Actually grown to love the Berlingo for camping....ideal for just me and partner as she uses it as her everyday car.Suprisingly comfy for sleeping in as well and I'm six foot tall !

Screenshot_20240817-103533.png

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Woops, I did it again.

PXL_20240817_112508411.MP.jpg

PXL_20240817_112516694.jpg

PXL_20240817_112520636.MP.jpg

PXL_20240817_112531408.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Gwylan

Veteran
We took the plunge when the boat had to go. That was just at the end of COVID. Nowhere near as much fun as sailing was. But better than being stuck at home
This is our transport of delight.

Bikes go on the back, two of us can travel in comfort and independence. We can pootle into town or do the odd day trip
Stay on sites or find quiet parking spots.

IMG_20220312_102940317_HDR~3.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
MoHo's & campervans are not my thing but that looks blooming smart.

Decent to drive too. A friend loves his although he says the pop-up sleeping bit is cold overnight.

Fleecy PJ's or shove Bruce up there with you? 🥶 + 🦮 = ♨️ ^_^

I need something compact for occasional car type duties, and a big separate chassis motorhome like the old one isn't hopeless for that.

It has diesel night heater, about 15p an hour to run at current diesel prices, so I'll probably sleep in my thong with Bruce in his customary position under my feet.

Mrs D and I will use the rock roll bed down below, Mini D can go up top when she's with us. I'm too old, I flexible and slow healing to want to clamber up there.

It came down to a choice of this and one other.

This one is a 21 plate with 3000 miles, is based on a lower spec van (so comes with non adaptive cruise, non auto headlamps, and carplay/auto, white paint) but has been beefed up with manly wheels and rock guards.

The other was a 23 plate with 7000 miles, slightly higher spec van with metallic paint, but a slightly lower spec conversion, and cost £7k more.

In the end I thought the white paint and he-man wheels looked cool so saved the 7 large and went for it. Got a better trade in that expected on the Mini by 4 grand, which eased the pain on my long suffering savings but in total I'm up the river for a not inconsiderate £47,995. I'll have to go back on the game to top up the shekels.

It's going to have a full service and MOT, soon as the log book is back for the Mini - I took the private plate off using the online service today - then it's mine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom