Taking Bike on Holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I've recently had a bike fit and would now prefer to take my bike on holiday.

How easy is it to pack, unpack and assemble your bike? Do I need to take a torque wrench, etc with me. The bike I'm thinking of taking has a tubeless set up - how would that work?

Thanks in advance

How much dissassembly are we talking? Suitcase, bike box, plastic bag. Is the bike carbon racer ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just do lots of practice beforehand? Do you normally do your own maintenance? If so, should be easier.
Where are you planning on going and how? If flying, don't take any tools in your hand luggage if you want to avoid the risk of security confiscating

Alex321

Guru
I know it's really annoying when people drag a thread off topic but I'm going to do it anyway. Have you considered hiring a bike at your destination? It could remove a lot of hassle and stress.

I think the fact he has recently had a bike fit is driving his desire to take his own, rather than hire a not so well fitted bike.

Alex321

Guru
Hi there

I've recently had a bike fit and would now prefer to take my bike on holiday.

How easy is it to pack, unpack and assemble your bike? Do I need to take a torque wrench, etc with me. The bike I'm thinking of taking has a tubeless set up - how would that work?

Thanks in advance

It depends a lot on how you are going to transport it. If taking it by air, then a proper bike box is best, but quite expensive. Decent ones start at around £200 and go up to over £500
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/best-bike-bags-and-boxes-a-buyers-guide-323679

You will need to take off the wheels and pedals, and turn the handlebars through 90º. While a torque wrench is best for refitting the wheels (if through axle) and tightening the headset, you can probably get away with judging it by hand for a trip of a week or two.

If travelling by car or train, you shouldn't need to do much, if any disassembly.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I know it's really annoying when people drag a thread off topic but I'm going to do it anyway. Have you considered hiring a bike at your destination? It could remove a lot of hassle and stress.

Its also much cheaper than flying a bike and infinitely less like to damage your pride and joy in transit. when no-one has mentined above, if flying you need to take the rear derailleur off ad tape it up inside the fork triangle, otherwise you risk knocking it and the hanger out of wonk.

hire companies I have used in Mallorca will have the bike pre-setup if you send the basic measurements. I.e centre BB to saddle top. saddle tip to handlebars. most offer choice of pedals. you can take your own saddle if you want.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think the fact he has recently had a bike fit is driving his desire to take his own, rather than hire a not so well fitted bike.

I know. It's really irritating when someone posts saying "I want to do X, does anyone have any advice? By the way, I don't want to do Y" and someone replies "Have you thought of doing Y?".

Infuriating. And yet I've just done precisely that. :rolleyes:

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd also recommend hiring if that's available at the destination. When you add up the risks, costs and hassle of taking your own bike, the cost of hiring looks like good value.

Top Bottom