Static caravan purchase ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
I've never understood the appeal of investing a lot of cash in having holidays in the same place all the time, I'd get fed up with it, and it's just wasted money if you go elsewhere. Like most on here, I'm also pretty cynical about the scams many seem to work to, a bit like with leasehold property. It's dangerous investing in something that someone else has complete control over.

I daydreamed about getting a motorhome once, but only until I realised that pitches cost nearly as much as a Youth Hostel, you can't drive them over Hard Knott, they're too big and expensive to commute in, and I don't have anywhere to park one.

One of the sites I've stayed at this year (Gibraltor Farm, Silverdale, Lancashire) has a lot of what look like permanently placed touring caravans
My cousin had a caravan at Akebar Park in Wensleydale for donkey's years. They started out buying a 4 berth tourer with no intention of towing it anywhere, then upgraded to a static later.
Come home to a real fire..................buy a holiday home in Wales
Not the Nine O'Clock News

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I daydreamed about getting a motorhome once, but only until I realised that pitches cost nearly as much as a Youth Hostel, you can't drive them over Hard Knott, they're too big and expensive to commute in, and I don't have anywhere to park one.

Campsites vary from £20 per night to £40 for two people. Factor in a basic hotel can be £65 a night (excluding YH) then it's not too cheap. Then again, many hotels are £140 a night, including pubs B&B. Bala cost two of us £185 for 5 nights camping in a tent, so close to the £40 a night, but we were less than a stones throw from the Lake.

fossyant

This is the van we had. The decking now lives at the back of my garage at home.
Willerby Aspen.jpg

Alex321

Guru
Campsites vary from £20 per night to £40 for two people. Factor in a basic hotel can be £65 a night (excluding YH) then it's not too cheap. Then again, many hotels are £140 a night, including pubs B&B. Bala cost two of us £185 for 5 nights camping in a tent, so close to the £40 a night, but we were less than a stones throw from the Lake.

What you also have to take into account cost-wise is that with your camper van (or tent, or touring caravan), you can cook for yourselves, rather than eating out as you usually have to with a hotel. You may of course still want to eat out, but if cost is an issue you don't have to.

albion

Guru
On my rides I see a fair few motor homes, camped up in discrete places.
Permanently, or at least long enough for me to feel they are there permanent.

presta

Guru
What you also have to take into account cost-wise is that with your camper van (or tent, or touring caravan), you can cook for yourselves, rather than eating out as you usually have to with a hotel. You may of course still want to eat out, but if cost is an issue you don't have to.
In 2010 it was £20 for the cheapest three meals on Medway YHA menu, compared to £5.29 for ~5000 calories a day self catering.

My last tour in 2011, also self catering at YHAs, was £631.34 for 26 nights (food £172.33, accommodation £455.25).

fossyant

In 2010 it was £20 for the cheapest three meals on Medway YHA menu, compared to £5.29 for ~5000 calories a day self catering.

My last tour in 2011, also self catering at YHAs, was £631.34 for 26 nights (food £172.33, accommodation £455.25).

That won't get you a week in a static van these days, never mind food.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My in laws had one at Billing Aquadome some 20 years ago.
Once my father in law had to retire early with medical problems the van became a financial millstone.
They eventually managed to escape the contract early but had to pay a financial penalty to do so. Which my wife help out with.
It’s a total scam and if your financial position changes you are left paying for it.

fossyant

My in laws had one at Billing Aquadome some 20 years ago.
Once my father in law had to retire early with medical problems the van became a financial millstone.
They eventually managed to escape the contract early but had to pay a financial penalty to do so. Which my wife help out with.
It’s a total scam and if your financial position changes you are left paying for it.

You have to pay the ground rent for the year. The big companies are a nightmare, but the smaller ones can be a little bit better, but you still get screwed.

We did the do we buy a property near where the van was, get another, or cut losses and do 'other stuff.

My wife was for getting a property. We could easily afford it as our very modest 3 bed is paid for, but. And it's a big but. Maintenance. It's hard work maintaining my own house and garden. Hard getting to the van and doing that garden too, but another house to look after. I said no chance.

You get times where everything breaks on a caravan as you return after winter. One year was every week something broke. Early season, so it was cold and dark.

It was great though, especially with young kids. Getting rid has changed our outlook.

We're going to go round the UK more, vehicle purchase is planned to do this. It won't move other than to do trips.

Top Bottom