Squeamish about Charity Stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've seen a few events I'd like to do but they involve charity fundraising, something I'm just not comfortable with. My company are into this in a big way organising events, publicising them and so on but it means I've got an unending flow of emails from folk I don't know asking me to sponsor them. I'd hate to be just another annoying PITA passing round the begging bowl so I just don't participate in what could be fun events.

Am I the only one that feels this way? Does anyone else feel embarrassed at the thought of begging friends, family and strangers for money?

Drago

Legendary Member
Raising money for charity is easy.

Every week I take a bin bag of my dirty clothes to the Sally Army shop. A few days later I visit again, and there's all my clothes washed and ironed and back with me for a fiver. Much cheaper and easier than the launderette and the charity makes a few easy bob. It's win win.

I've seen a few events I'd like to do but they involve charity fundraising, something I'm just not comfortable with. My company are into this in a big way organising events, publicising them and so on but it means I've got an unending flow of emails from folk I don't know asking me to sponsor them. I'd hate to be just another annoying PITA passing round the begging bowl so I just don't participate in what could be fun events.

Am I the only one that feels this way? Does anyone else feel embarrassed at the thought of begging friends, family and strangers for money?

I don't find it any more of an intrusion than someone rattling a tin.
If it generates some cash for a good cause then fine to be a PITA.
I am doing a 5k swim next week (I am 55 and did one 10 years ago so wanted to see if I could still do it). I did not tell anyone at all but wifey emailed the link to our contacts and I have £50 raised.
This is it for you to all bung some money on for Marie Curie!! https://my.swimathon.org/sponsor/garyrolfe

I think things like this do prompt people to give a bit more so are good.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I feel the same @swl
Why not ride the same route on another day instead, donate to a charity of your choice if you feel so inclined.
You could ride with friends to make it more challenging.

TVC

I don't mind sponsoring people who are doing something to stretch themselves like a substantial walk or run. However, I won't get involved with the ones who want to do a parachute jump - I'm not subsidising someone's enjoyment. The worst was a guy at work who was raising money so he could do a boat trip up the Amazon 'for charity'. Sounds like angling for a free holiday to me.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am in the same camp as most of your responses. I give a "certain ammount" to charities I chose and that is it.
I am planning a longish bike ride for this year and someone suggested I get a charrity involved but I am uneasy asking people to sponser me as I myslef dont like to sponser "joe bloggs" (some neighbours schoold kids etc.) because I have already decided who my money goes to.
You really have to go with your conscience on this matter.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, you are not alone, although I'm not embarrassed exactly. I just don't like asking people for sponsorship like riding a bike over a typical charity ride distance is something unusual for me now. I'm doing a 100 mile day trip later this month, for fun, along with friends and hundreds of others. It would need to be something truly epic to be worth sponsoring.

This attitude now extends to most people who ask for sponsorship for riding: I know most of them have done long rides before and probably won't struggle too much to do whatever one they're asking for money for now. I get a bit "ride if you want to" about it, but you can't exactly say that to them, else you get labelled as some sort of meanie. I don't mind giving money to charity, but I do mind paying people to ride. It really shouldn't be anything remarkable.

As you may have noticed, I get really grumpy about the big "charity" tour operators where the first £x00 goes to the private company organising the tour and paying for their PR staff to get the organised-begging-pretending-to-be-news into the local newspapers and so on. They're really not helping to make cycling commonplace because it suits their fundraising to present it as an extreme endeavour.

So I'm trying to limit the number of charity rides I do and only ask for money for one a year. As far as I know, I will be taking part in one charity themed ride where we'll be taking a collection along the route to the lifeboat station; plus I will probably take part in two other rides - so at one, the donation will only be from me.

I was going to post along similar lines recently. I can't remember the last time at least one of the local papers didn't have an article about an individual or a group doing a bike ride for charity and appealing for donations. Rather than thinking what a great idea it is, I'm afraid sponsored charity ride fatigue set in a few years ago and now I just groan inwardly.

I am of the same mind

I donate through gift aid to the charities I wish to and (more valuable to the charities) offer time to others

This is my decision and I do not wish to be told by anyone else who I should donate to

My favourite reply is " If I donate to your charity... will you come and do a few hours work for mine?"

Amazing how the offer is turned down

I was going to post along similar lines recently. I can't remember the last time at least one of the local papers didn't have an article about an individual or a group doing a bike ride for charity and appealing for donations. Rather than thinking what a great idea it is, I'm afraid sponsored charity ride fatigue set in a few years ago and now I just groan inwardly.

I was once told that I was "selfish" for doing the Isle of WIght Randonnee and not being sponsored

The concept that I was doing it for my own reasons was beyond their comprehension

Mrs M

Guru
"Organised begging" does annoy me a bit.
Mr M and myself prefer to privately support the charities we choose.
Apart from, when my dad died over 20 years ago I decided in his memory to do a sponsored swim for a local cancer charity, who provide various therapies and support for patients.
Family, friends and colleagues knew the circumstances and sponsored me generously without me feeling like a nuisance :smile:
Managed 100 lengths even though after 25 I was ready to go under due to a stinking cold.

I have expressed my views in the past on such things. What is sad is that some of the best events can only be entered if one commits to one of the charities listed. I don't mind paying a reasonable entry fee to cover cost and some margin for the organiser but it has become mercenary.

Last edited:
I am really Mother Teresa - reports of my death were part of a cunning ruse. I got fed up with all the charity shít to be honest. I now live a life of simplicity but without the TV cameras and all that jazz.

Just don't ask me to sponsor your bike ride.

Top Bottom