Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I had on a proper fleece lined winter bib and leggings and thick thermal sock and a underarmour base layer and a thermal buff and a windproof cycling jacket and sealskinz gloves and BBB thick overshoes and a micro hat under my helmet and still froze my bits off!!:cold:

Blimey :ohmy: I go out in just bib tights, a jersey, normal socks and gloves. Nothing else!

Either I'm just extremely unfit and get hot easily or dhb stuff is really really well insulated. Probably both.

Billy Adam

Blimey :ohmy: I go out in just bib tights, a jersey, normal socks and gloves. Nothing else!

Either I'm just extremely unfit and get hot easily or dhb stuff is really really well insulated. Probably both.
I've got a pair of dnb thermal socks and they're great but still have to use overshoes to keep the wind out.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I've got a pair of dnb thermal socks and they're great but still have to use overshoes to keep the wind out.

They were fine for me when I used trainers and toe clips but now with cleats and SPDs my toes went numb yesterday. I'm hoping a thin pair of socks underneath should be enough to keep out the cold.

simmi

Über Member
Still way quicker than me, I did 37.3 in 2:50 avg 13.14 2221ft of climbing (59.62ft p/mile) 3 p.b.'s but I think I had a little tail wind.
http://app.strava.com/activities/41758084#
Other than the distance you can't compare our 2 rides, you did 3 times the climbing I did! Good effort mate as Billy Adam said "the cold really saps your energy"
I weighed myself today and I am averaging just under a 1lb of weight loss per 100 miles ridden this year. (11lb from 1200 miles) If I can keep at this rate I could be the lightest I have been in 20 years by the end of the year.

There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat and I have to ride just over 100 miles to burn 3500 calories so I would say your calculations are spot on!
:gun: Many other factors come into it I know before I am shot down in flames:gun:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Is it right you burn more cals in the cold.

Supposedly your body burns a tiny bit more to stay warm but I think it's quite marginal. Personally I always find it easier to lose weight in summer because of decreased appetite, higher levels of activity and lower alcohol consumption! Any of which would easily cancel out the few cals a day your body warms extra to stay warm.

Other than the distance you can't compare our 2 rides, you did 3 times the climbing I did! Good effort mate as Billy Adam said "the cold really saps your energy"
I havent updated it on strava, it always nicks height, both the garmin and ridewithgps gave figures close to each other, well 100ft. I didn't really notice the cold, mind fleece base layer three others and a cycle shirt arm warmers, fleece tights shorts leg warmers and some ski base layer leggings 2 pairs of socks my Aldi gloves fleece hat and buff. I did wonder when i set off what people were going on about it being cold.
temp for the ride was 1.2C avg wind of 5mph, though it didn't seem much of a headwind most of the time, maybe because of those hills

Yea I was right not much in the way of headwind worst was from about 21 miles to 24 @avg of 4.9mph straight into it, but apart from that didn't notice it, more concerned where the next hill was.:smile:
2013 - Adjusted Temperature.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I am the same as you - some people stay warm whilst others freeze.

I rode the other day and it was +0.5 according to the car and all I had on was some leggings, ordinary sports socks, a Helly Hansen Lifa short sleeve and my lightweight Altura waterproof with pit zips open fully and I was still too hot so I had to pull the jacket front zip way down.

I don't sweat much either which is not a good thing really!.

Speedball

Had my first ride out on my T3 and was a bit of a mixed bag in all honesty :huh:

http://app.strava.com/activities/41850323

Really struggled with the new riding position and the gears seemed to jump all over the place at times and chain noise from the derailleur cage. That was all a bit disconcerting and some tweaking is obviously needed there. Bit annoyed about that as surely that should be something Decathlon should check before the bike is shipped:headshake:

That all said, did manage two new PB's on some Strava segments and I know the riding position will take some getting used to after years of using an MTB. Probably need to tweak the seat and stem height to get it set perfect for me. As I'm such a novice, all a bit of trial and error at the moment, mainly error :laugh:

Had my first ride out on my T3 and was a bit of a mixed bag in all honesty :huh:

http://app.strava.com/activities/41850323

Really struggled with the new riding position and the gears seemed to jump all over the place at times and chain noise from the derailleur cage. That was all a bit disconcerting and some tweaking is obviously needed there. Bit annoyed about that as surely that should be something Decathlon should check before the bike is shipped:headshake:

That all said, did manage two new PB's on some Strava segments and I know the riding position will take some getting used to after years of using an MTB. Probably need to tweak the seat and stem height to get it set perfect for me. As I'm such a novice, all a bit of trial and error at the moment, mainly error :laugh:
Well done on the p.b.'s, i am sure you will sort out the niggles.
I had two short rides today one to the hospital where I set an overall p.b.
Coming home, as it is the OH's birthday I didn't opt for a longer run but did a 15 mile loop back to the house, I set two p.b.'s

The other thing my H.R. was a lot lower only just getting into zone 4 (as it's set up), I think this was a motivation thing
hr.JPG

Morning H.R. Avg 147 Max 163, 5.1miles @ 14.04mph 55.23ft per mile
afternoon H.R. Avg 135 Max 162, 15.5 miles @ 13.2mph 44.83ft per mile.

Had a look at the H.R. track and found it dropped to about 78bpm so must have been a glitch.
However on the heart rate theme I used to have a daily resting H.R of 90bpm+, just checked it now and it is low 80'sbpm, so some improvement I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom