Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Had my first ride out on my T3 and was a bit of a mixed bag in all honesty :huh:

http://app.strava.com/activities/41850323

Really struggled with the new riding position and the gears seemed to jump all over the place at times and chain noise from the derailleur cage. That was all a bit disconcerting and some tweaking is obviously needed there. Bit annoyed about that as surely that should be something Decathlon should check before the bike is shipped:headshake:

That all said, did manage two new PB's on some Strava segments and I know the riding position will take some getting used to after years of using an MTB. Probably need to tweak the seat and stem height to get it set perfect for me. As I'm such a novice, all a bit of trial and error at the moment, mainly error :laugh:

Congrats on the first ride. I've just been ranting about the gears on my Triban too: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/triban-3-owners-club.121260/post-2328672

Still not fixed after 3 attempts.

To add insult to injury I got my 2nd puncture in 3 rides since I fitted the gatorskins. Useless rubbish. I only got one in the 6 months previous to fitting them!

http://app.strava.com/activities/41843767

Was bloody freezing and very windy too. Not a good ride. :sad:

To add insult to injury I got my 2nd puncture in 3 rides since I fitted the gatorskins. Useless rubbish. I only got one in the 6 months previous to fitting them!

http://app.strava.com/activities/41843767

Was bloody freezing and very windy too. Not a good ride. :sad:
I ran what must have been the best part of 4,000 miles on the Kenda the bike came with in 2008, with just one puncture and that was from hitting a pot hole at speed (pressed the tube into the spoke holes on the rim), when they wore out I got a Bontrager R1 for the rear only cheap one I could get at the time as I was out, I have replaced the front with a Continental Ultra Sport Bike Tyre, when i first put it on something must have got embedded in the tyre, as I kept getting punctures, I finally found it, been fine since, I couldn't feel it at first when checking, but checking where the hole was on the tube and position of the tyre I eventually found it

I ordered a new track pump the other day (present from the O.H. for my birthday), since my 4 year old Lidl one blow up, and I have to say wonderful service from Evans ordered Wed aft arrived this morning, and how much easier it is to us than the old one, to all of you just starting out they are really worth the investment, 100p.s.i easy, with a steady riding on the gauge, my old one I had to get it up to pressure and quickly off as it always seemed to lose air.
Blackburn Air Tower 1 Track Pump £22.49 with postage.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I ran what must have been the best part of 4,000 miles on the Kenda the bike came with in 2008, with just one puncture and that was from hitting a pot hole at speed (pressed the tube into the spoke holes on the rim), when they wore out I got a Bontrager R1 for the rear only cheap one I could get at the time as I was out, I have replaced the front with a Continental Ultra Sport Bike Tyre, when i first put it on something must have got embedded in the tyre, as I kept getting punctures, I finally found it, been fine since, I couldn't feel it at first when checking, but checking where the hole was on the tube and position of the tyre I eventually found it

I ordered a new track pump the other day (present from the O.H. for my birthday), since my 4 year old Lidl one blow up, and I have to say wonderful service from Evans ordered Wed aft arrived this morning, and how much easier it is to us than the old one, to all of you just starting out they are really worth the investment, 100p.s.i easy, with a steady riding on the gauge, my old one I had to get it up to pressure and quickly off as it always seemed to lose air.
Blackburn Air Tower 1 Track Pump £22.49 with postage.

I was going to make a post about pumps actually. I have a footpump but for the life of me I can't get above 90 PSI into my tyres. I simply can't push anymore air in, the plunger just won't go down anymore. My dad has had a go and can't get any more air into them either so perhaps I will try that one if you have no problems getting 100 PSI into them. My tyres are supposed to be at 110 so I really could do with getting a new pump.

I was going to make a post about pumps actually. I have a footpump but for the life of me I can't get above 90 PSI into my tyres. I simply can't push anymore air in, the plunger just won't go down anymore. My dad has had a go and can't get any more air into them either so perhaps I will try that one if you have no problems getting 100 PSI into them. My tyres are supposed to be at 110 so I really could do with getting a new pump.
I am sure you will be able to, I just did a quick test, to see how well it worked, the valve attachment is a doodle compared with the Lidl one, you can even put it one to check pressure, something I couldn't with the other as it lost more air than it was worth. I though I got a decent amount in with my mini pump, seems it was only about 60p.s.i, maybe why I am so slow. We will see if it improves any over the next few rides.
Next thing is some semi decent wheels.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

get one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4949 you will never have a problem pumping your tyres up with this

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I am sure you will be able to, I just did a quick test, to see how well it worked, the valve attachment is a doodle compared with the Lidl one, you can even put it one to check pressure, something I couldn't with the other as it lost more air than it was worth. I though I got a decent amount in with my mini pump, seems it was only about 60p.s.i, maybe why I am so slow. We will see if it improves any over the next few rides.
Next thing is some semi decent wheels.

Yes I think if you get those pumped up to 100+ PSI you'll see a big increase in speed. I saw a post a while ago on here from someone saying that he had pumped his up from 50 to 110 and was 2mph faster immediately!

get one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4949 you will never have a problem pumping your tyres up with this

One of the reviews for that says that you need to use your bodyweight to get tyres up to 120 PSI. Maybe that's where I was going wrong with mine :laugh: Or do you have no problems getting it to 110-120 without doing that?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yes I think if you get those pumped up to 100+ PSI you'll see a big increase in speed. I saw a post a while ago on here from someone saying that he had pumped his up from 50 to 110 and was 2mph faster immediately!

One of the reviews for that says that you need to use your bodyweight to get tyres up to 120 PSI. Maybe that's where I was going wrong with mine :laugh: Or do you have no problems getting it to 110-120 without doing that?

I've only used mine on the hybrid up to now and it has pumped to 85 psi no problems. I bought it on the back of recommendations on here from the road boys and girls who said they pump easily to 110 -120 psi

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I've only used mine on the hybrid up to now and it has pumped to 85 psi no problems. I bought it on the back of recommendations on here from the road boys and girls who said they pump easily to 110 -120 psi

Ah ok, well I think tomorrow I'll try using my bodyweight with my pump and see what happens. It is a floor pump that supposedly goes up to 120 PSI so in theory it should work.

I'm not sure how much benefit I'll really get from it though. My tyres feel rock hard at 70 PSI.

boybiker

Guru
I wanted to get out this weekend but its started snowing... and laying!! :cursing: I hope it doesn't stick about!!

I always thought it difficult using the one from Lidl, but this was easy 110 should be no problem, I dont think theres much to choose between them at this price level. It is rated 120psi
Does that mean I can increase all my avg speeds, and reduce said times by the appropriate amount of time.
Though to fair I must have been getting 70-90p.s.i from the old pump.
I will try and get out in the morning, not very good at mornings though

Don't forget rest days, and it's so blooming windy this week, it's been a bit of a struggle
I get enough of them, I general go out when I feel like it, though it is as often as I can, but then I sometimes take up to a fortnight off, but generally I ride 17-22 days in any 30 period. I was a lot less in Dec but not because of the weather.
You must be getting different winds to up here, its been pretty quite this last wk. avg speed has been 2.8mph this week, last it was 3.4mph and the wk before 7.2mph that along with the week before (7.36mph) are the strongest I have on record since June last year, though I am out in winds up.to 12mph.
On a plus note you do get better against the wind, its always a struggle, but training and fitness will improve it.

SWSteve

Guru
You must be getting different winds to up here, its been pretty quite this last wk. avg speed has been 2.8mph this week, last it was 3.4mph and the wk before 7.2mph that along with the week before (7.36mph) are the strongest I have on record since June last year, though I am out in winds up.to 12mph.
On a plus note you do get better against the wind, its always a struggle, but training and fitness will improve it.
I have been looking at the MET office app to see chance of rainfall as I hate riding home in the rain after work, and the speed of gusts was ridiculous. At one point there were 30mph gusts which when blowing across you on a busy road are...fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom