Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
i've been debating getting a log wood burner, these photos have helped me make my mind up. I am deffo going to get one they look so rustic and i just love it

Truth be told, we got one largely for the aesthetic and homely character rather than as a means of heating. That said, we do use it through cold weather and if we keep the front room door open it does a decent job of heating the upstairs landing and any bedrooms with their doors open. We have one of those stovetop fans to aid heat circulation. It’s not really cheap or environmentally friendly though. :shy:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Here’s our Morso Owl. We’ve now tiled all the way across the inglenook. We’re fortunate to have a reasonable stock of joists and rafters to burn from our recent building works, and a fair bit of seasoned ash. We’re looking to take down another ash tree on our boundary this winter, before it flattens our garden shed.

Attachments

• 6DC176A8-4125-4DB7-9225-08E56E2040D0.jpeg
    6DC176A8-4125-4DB7-9225-08E56E2040D0.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 3
  • FAEA8807-FB15-446B-B6D6-C4B52A4E93EA.jpeg
    FAEA8807-FB15-446B-B6D6-C4B52A4E93EA.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 3

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Truth be told, we got one largely for the aesthetic and homely character rather than as a means of heating. That said, we do use it through cold weather and if we keep the front room door open it does a decent job of heating the upstairs landing and any bedrooms with their doors open. We have one of those stovetop fans to aid heat circulation. It’s not really cheap or environmentally friendly though. :shy:

Oh I dunno on the environmental side, most of the wood I get is from 'trimming' or removing trees (often trees that are diseased/dying) and that would just get burnt on site. OK some of the trimmings get chipped/mulched but branches won't go through the machine and there isn't a lot you can do with them.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Oh I dunno on the environmental side, most of the wood I get is from 'trimming' or removing trees (often trees that are diseased/dying) and that would just get burnt on site. OK some of the trimmings get chipped/mulched but branches won't go through the machine and there isn't a lot you can do with them.

Sustainable wood is better, but they still put out plenty of particulates, CO2 and other combustion products.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Funny we are supposed to live in a smoke free zone. Yet on the edge of town the village right there is not ! Anyway , most of my wood is scavenged or bought from the local farm , whom manage woodland. Mostly all hardwoods in fact the stuff I just bought is a mix of ash and oak !

Jameshow

Veteran
Here’s our Morso Owl. We’ve now tiled all the way across the inglenook. We’re fortunate to have a reasonable stock of joists and rafters to burn from our recent building works, and a fair bit of seasoned ash. We’re looking to take down another ash tree on our boundary this winter, before it flattens our garden shed.

I'd burn soft wood mixed with hardwood or better still coal...

The higher heat output will maintain a cleaner flu.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Yeah we burn smokeless fuel as well as the ash, along with the joists. We’ve got loads of partly-seasoned yew, too, and that’s going to spit like a bugger when the time comes to burn it…

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Funny we are supposed to live in a smoke free zone. Yet on the edge of town the village right there is not ! Anyway , most of my wood is scavenged or bought from the local farm , whom manage woodland. Mostly all hardwoods in fact the stuff I just bought is a mix of ash and oak !

Yep we live in a 'smokeless zone' but our logburner is a DEFRA approved exempt appliance, I cannot burn Coal or Coke (smokeless fuel)*

The manufacturers do this kit that consists of a different top air supply slide that has the slots cut in a slightly different place meaning that it cannot be closed off completely whereas the standard can, this means that (when modified) the setting to burn coal/coke cannot be used as that is top vent shut and air supply controlled by the bottom vent.

* Obviously I can chuck anything I like into the grate but burning coal/coke could quite possibly damage the castings as the air supply cannot be controlled so it could get too hot whereas wood won't reach high enough temperatures to melt Iron.

Top Bottom