Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A couple of years ago, a new neighbour heard the saw going and took it upon himself to enter the wood. Seeing me felling a dead oak, he tried to be all gallant like, you know, "I'll do that for you if you give me half the logs", and I'm like yeah, right, I've been doing this for twenty years... I told him where to stick it I guess, by saying he could help himself to deadfall. Haven't seen him since... :whistle: Not surprised he tried to pull a fast one, as logs are expensive out here in the fens... :wacko:

I'm also a dab hand with one of these... :blush:
What cheeky sod.
As an aside the picture is of an axe. Axes are for cutting down trees not for splitting wood.
For splitting wood you are supposed to use a wood maul. Its hundred times better. It never gets stuck in the wood. I have both. I thothought an axe is what you were supposed to use. I used a wood maul once and never used the axe again.

What cheeky sod.
As an aside the picture is of an axe. Axes are for cutting down trees not for splitting wood.
For splitting wood you are supposed to use a wood maul. Its hundred times better. It never gets stuck in the wood. I have both. I thothought an axe is what you were supposed to use. I used a wood maul once and never used the axe again.

Hmmm, it's just a matter of knowing exactly where to hit the log to split it, and how hard to whack it. :smile: Although I will add that mulberry wood makes a useless chopping block. The aim is to split the log, NOT the block... :whistle:

I've also cut trees down with that axe, but it's bloody tedious if you ask me... :laugh:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Here is my wood stove. Fitted three years ago to replace an open fire, but kept the cast iron surround. I'm going to replace the pine surround with an oak beam, I've never really liked the pine, but it was there when we moved in.

And some of my wood piles, been building the first this week, it's an addiction!

Captain Sensible

I thought that at first but the wood has never got more than warm to the touch. I think the way it’s constructed with inner linings on three sides helps to project the heat forward.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Thread resurrection :whistle: with energy costs And all that. I’ve had to buy wood , first time in 2.5yrs. Still got some sycamore in their , that my neighbour and I shared from a fallen dead tree. Anyway got half tipper load of mainly oak and some ash at the weekend. It’s quite dry already ! 18-19% moisture content.

Yes my wood pile is not very neat but I can live with that :laugh:

6D0DB90B-E323-4193-B1B0-9F47E16C996B.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
We’ve also stocked up over the summer, should have enough to get us through the winter using very minimal gas.

ricknmorty28

i've been debating getting a log wood burner, these photos have helped me make my mind up. I am deffo going to get one they look so rustic and i just love it

Top Bottom