Shocked at prices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
First of all the $15,000 bike should be outlawed for racing if the UCI want to keep racing pure, because the frame is aero. Second the 3 guy should have rotated through all three bikes and get an average for a course.

Oh aye, GCN are laughable.

"This isn't a scientific test.  But...", and theh then prattle on as if it were.

Alex321

Guru
First of all the $15,000 bike should be outlawed for racing if the UCI want to keep racing pure, because the frame is aero.

How on earth are trhey going to do that, even if they agreed that "pure" racing (whatever that may mean) doesn't include Aero bikes?

How, exactly, do you propose to define "aero" in such a way that it can reasonably be banned?

Almost all modern reasonably high-end bikes have aero elements in their design.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The 'nice stuff' is nice, but it's getting out of control how crazy expensive it is, especially with proprietary things like chain rings. My 'old stuff' and the 'newer stuff' I can still get top quality chain rings at a fraction of the price of the latter hollowtech Shimano chain rings.

I've personally had Dura Ace for about 35 years on one bike - I bought it just as SIS 8 speed came out. It's better made than the current stuff as there wasn't the 'weight weenie' effect, just that everything was made much more solidly. Comparing some of my old Mechs (XT, 600, Dura Ace) to the newer 105 (that I've got) and above, there is serious amounts of plastic in the construction these days.

Then again, if you want the nice stuff, you can always buy it "used" for last year's model.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Phil Pip
Tell him to change to Tourney. :smile:
What the hell can the advantage of using carbon components in a derailleur? Don't tell me.

That was very similar to my thoughts and had even said to owner to look for a used Uletgra on Ebay etc but he has been told if its a 9150 then Ultegra is direct replacement, if 9250 then jockey wheels are narrower but can be adjusted and if 9070 then top pulley is lower and ultegra will not work and if DI2 then not be tempted to swap cages because shifting may work to some degree but will never work great?
Know i like a bit of bling on bikes etc but can not see any advantage for the non tour de france cyclist with bits like this?

mustang1

Legendary Member
@DCLane. I know your son is racing competitively. If he were to ride say a Shimano 105 7000 series, so 11 speed as opposed to racing with Ultegra or Dura Ace would he be at a disadvantage because of the lower spec? Assuming quality isn’t an issue and performance would be the same across that level of spec, it’s the fact it is that little bit heavier?

It might also be a psychological advantage. It may not matter that a few grams makes a real difference or not, but it could a competitive advantage in that if the racer thinks they will do well, partly because of equipment, then they will have one less thing bugging them, psychologically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom