Shocked at prices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Might be worth checking again - I'd be quite suprised if it was twisted, part of the appeal of carbon is that it doesn't deform in the same way as metal, it's more likely to fracture.

I'd look at the derailleur hanger before the inner plate. That being said it's also a Dura-Ace part, I'd expect the price to be high.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it's Dura-Ace 9100 then yes, it's expensive. Welcome to my world!

We run Dura-Ace on the summer bikes, Ultegra on the winter ones and source spares wherever we can to reduce the cost.

@DCLane. I know your son is racing competitively. If he were to ride say a Shimano 105 7000 series, so 11 speed as opposed to racing with Ultegra or Dura Ace would he be at a disadvantage because of the lower spec? Assuming quality isn’t an issue and performance would be the same across that level of spec, it’s the fact it is that little bit heavier?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@bikingdad90 - the level of equipment has some advantage; i.e. the latest bike, the lightest kit so in basic terms, yes.

Whilst I don't always agree with the way GCN do things they've recently done a comparison between £150 / £1500 / £15000 bikes and it's the top two which shows that the additional spend equates to quite a few seconds. Over a long race that advantage adds up:

I understand @DCLane, I was more thinking if you took out every other variation out and compared like for like… say Dogma F with Di2 vs Dogma F with 105.

@bikingdad90 - the level of equipment has some advantage; i.e. the latest bike, the lightest kit so in basic terms, yes.

Whilst I don't always agree with the way GCN do things they've recently done a comparison between £150 / £1500 / £15000 bikes and it's the top two which shows that the additional spend equates to quite a few seconds. Over a long race that advantage adds up:

First of all the $15,000 bike should be outlawed for racing if the UCI want to keep racing pure, because the frame is aero. Second the 3 guy should have rotated through all three bikes and get an average for a course.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
First of all the $15,000 bike should be outlawed for racing if the UCI want to keep racing pure, because the frame is aero. Second the 3 guy should have rotated through all three bikes and get an average for a course.

i think the pros should all be on the £150 bikes and plodders like me should get the top spec free as we need the aero gains more than they do :smile:

Top Bottom