Shimano 3 speed front derailleur adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Daft question, what's the front mech and it's 'level' in the range ?

My daughter's bike came with SRAM stuff, but the front mech was really bad cheap something, so I popped an X5 on it - no issues.

Triple FDs are best as friction shift!

A Surly LHT that I owned came that way.

OP
OP
S

Stul

Guru
....If its the big ring you can't use let me ask again, have you set the high limit screw correctly? Can you push the fd to the correct position for the big ring with your hand?
..yep....the latest problem appears to be that it changes "up" OK, but misses out the center ring when I change down...ie it goes straight from the large ring to the small ring. For the moment I have just set it up to use the middle and small ring, which will probably be fine for my current level of fitness as I can still achieve a decent speed on the middle ring, and small rear ring....

..interesting that while I had the bike in the stand, I noted that the rear 2nd lower rear ring also keeps skipping / missing??? ie when changing down from 7the gear (rear lowest), it goes straight to 5th....likewise when changing up from 5th, it goes straight to 7th??...

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
..yep....the latest problem appears to be that it changes "up" OK, but misses out the center ring when I change down...ie it goes straight from the large ring to the small ring. For the moment I have just set it up to use the middle and small ring, which will probably be fine for my current level of fitness as I can still achieve a decent speed on the middle ring, and small rear ring....

..interesting that while I had the bike in the stand, I noted that the rear 2nd lower rear ring also keeps skipping / missing??? ie when changing down from 7the gear (rear lowest), it goes straight to 5th....likewise when changing up from 5th, it goes straight to 7th??...

Sounds like friction in the cables somewhere to me.

Bristolian

..ta for the feedback, but the cable seems to run fine,(it's new), and it has been well "oiled" before insertion...

Hi Stul, I have a 3x Shimano Sora set up on my bike and have been through exactly the same problem that you are experiencing. Damned frustrating isn't it?

You have replaced the inner gear cable but have you replaced the outer cable sheath? I chased my shifting problem for weeks having changed the inner cable, re-set the derailleur, adjusted the indexing - all following the Shimano user manual - and only when I replaced the outer cable sheath and went through the complete set-up procedure again did I get it to work correctly. It's now working beautifully ^_^

Hope you get it sorted :okay:

Top Bottom