Settng up a website?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Is it just pictures and a bit of text? If so, an Instagram account (free) might be easier and cheaper.

It limits your audience significantly though. Not everyone uses Instagram.

si_c

Guru
You can get really cheap web hosting for a couple of quid a month plus domain renewal (this is an annual cost, you don't technically own the domain name, you lease it for a period of time, usually 1-2 years).

Offers like GoDaddy or Ionos are better as they do have tools which make building your website easier, which is why they are more expensive.

If you want a traditional blog type website with simpler content, something like wordpress is an option - great content management tools, reasonably cheap (under a fiver).

But for a better solution the undeniable giant at the moment is Squarespace, they have invested a lot in their tools to make your life easier and whilst I hate their constant advertising across social media, they are really good.

markemark

Über Member
It limits your audience significantly though. Not everyone uses Instagram.

Indeed. However it's quicker, free and other users often find new accounts quicker than google ranks your page if organic searches are sought. Downside, as you say, is that not every has Instagram and you are at the mercy of Meta and can be switched off.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I don't really do Instagram and if one pings up in my searches I don't normally click the link, but thanks for the suggestion.

Emanresu

If you want to build one offline so you can catch these and other errors, you can download Apache which will give you a Xampp server on your PC plus a Mysql database. You can use one of the many free HTML5 templates for the front end such as this one. You put it all together offline then use something like Filezilla to upload to the hosting site.

Time consuming, just like bikes, but you'll be able to tweek, develop, change etc without additional costs.

AndyRM

XOXO
I don't really do Instagram and if one pings up in my searches I don't normally click the link, but thanks for the suggestion.

On this - do you use Facebook? Because if you do, you can "push" stuff from there so it shows up on Insta at the same time, and vice versa. If you don't it's a bit of a moot point, but it is a quick way to chuck up content.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
On this - do you use Facebook? Because if you do, you can "push" stuff from there so it shows up on Insta at the same time, and vice versa. If you don't it's a bit of a moot point, but it is a quick way to chuck up content.

Yes I have a Facebook account, will have a look into that thanks.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I checked out three or four youtube tutorials before settling on this one, which I found excellent, and used to build this and this over the course of a month or so. From, it's worth saying, a standing start - I knew absolutely nothing when I started out. The tutorial's quite long, at two hours and change, not least because he goes over bits more than once, but I found the repetition really helpful in getting things to stick.

For the hosting, I went with HostGator, signing up for three years to get the overall price down to pennies. If I remember rightly it was a hundred quid or so all in, for enough space for both (image-heavy) sites with loads to spare.

The only other thing I'd mention is that HostGator were excellent when I needed some technical support in the early days, as have been Astra - makers of the (free) templates recommended in the tutorial.

It all depends what you're actually looking to achieve/build, but for basic pics 'n text sites, I've nothing but praise for the tutorial, hosting, and tech support throughout.

Top Bottom