Scone or Scone?

How do you pronounce "scone"?

• Sk-onn?

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Sc-oh-ne?

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
If we had somebody here who was up on Anglo-Saxon phonology we would know what the original pronunciation was like (that "e" is on the end for a reason) and so it would be settled once and for all. OTH it is probably one of those things that nobody actually wants to have settled once and for all.
What in the world makes you think so? As someone said earlier:

Gone
Stone

What 'reason' could there be?

Arch

Married to Night Train
It is Sc-on.

Arch has spoken.

Coincidentally, I had one before leaving work - there were some left over from a meeting - plain ones, with a smear of butter, a dollop of whipped cream, and a quartered fresh strawberry on top. :sad:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
On that tack, how would you pronounce bath? - cos they're ain't no 'r' in it. :sad:

Yes, and how do those down South pronounce the word ass ? (as in donkey-like creature)

urbanfatboy

Über Member
Are you all mad!! I'm surprised you're not all died of starvation, given your inability to make yourselves understood when ordering simple food products. Clearly is it one with a SC at the start thus SCone = SCWUN.

There! Case solved.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
[quote name='swee'pea99']What in the world makes you think so? As someone said earlier:

Gone
Stone

What 'reason' could there be?[/QUOTE]

What look like crackpot spellings to the modern user of English usually reflect an archaic form of pronunciation eg. the urgh bit at at the end of Edinburgh would probably once have been prounounced somewhere halfway between the ch of modern Scottish "loch" and the g of modern German "Burg".

When you see that "brought" is the equivalent of German "brachte" and that ch is a bit like "loch" then you start to get the picture. Another for instance, we have the spelling "children" but we could have easily still had "childeren" reflecting the older pronunciation while having verbally changed to the current pronunciation.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Andy in Sig said:
Another for instance, we have the spelling "children" but we could have easily still had "childeren" reflecting the older pronunciation while having verbally changed to the current pronunciation.

My granny (from Ireland) used to say "childer" (not for 'scone', obviously!!)

U

User482

My mum reckons that only posh people say "skon".

But more importantly, which goes on first - the jam or the clotted cream?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
User482 said:
My mum reckons that only posh people say "skon".

But more importantly, which goes on first - the jam or the clotted cream?

Yes I'm very Posh and I always was taught to say Skonn. Mrs 26x25 is not as posh as me and says skoan.

As for the jam/cream thing it's

Butter
Jam
Clotted Cream

In that order

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's controversial, and I rarely advise anyone against consuming butter, but as long as you have clotted cream the butter is superfluous, and even distracting - it interferes with the buttery clots on the cream. But I agree about jam first.

Top Bottom