Saint Malo to Bilbao! We’re off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
One final note - I've started doing the crazyguy journal for the trip and thought I'd share it here. I nearly didn't write one becase they're so much work, but I really love looking back and reading them so decided it was worth the time investment.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3d2&doc_id=25962&v=23

Loving it! Now I want to follow in your tyre tracks. Mr HelenD also wants to cycle the Outer Hebrides. Too many potential trips, not enough annual leave!

Emanresu

How was the ferry? There's an interesting route called La Véloscénie which connects Paris with Mont St-Michel. Return via St Malo looks like an option but not sure about the ferry.

blackrat

I could put this on a separate thread; but if one wanted to commence a ride from the French west coast - say St. Malo - for a trip to say Nice and needed to fly in to the closest international airport, would London Heathrow (Ugh!) then ferry to France or Paris and train to the coast be the best option?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I could put this on a separate thread; but if one wanted to commence a ride from the French west coast - say St. Malo - for a trip to say Nice and needed to fly in to the closest international airport, would London Heathrow (Ugh!) then ferry to France or Paris and train to the coast be the best option?

Paris + train to St Malo I would think is the far more convenient and probably much cheaper option.
Last time I looked at Brittany ferries prices, it was coming in at close on £200 return from Portsmouth to St Malo. That was travelling solo with bike. Overnight on the way out, daytime sailing on return (which is the only option; they have one ferry on that route which sails from Portsmouth overnight, and out of St Malo on a day sailing.).
I can't remember if the price I looked at included a cabin on the overnight leg or not...
Check their website, but it isn't a cheap option. Very pleasant crossing though.

Emanresu

Very pleasant crossing though.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks

Think Eurostar are now accepting cycles so you could do train+train. Not sure of the cost as it would vary. SNCF site will give you an idea of choices too.

https://www.sncf-connect.com/en-en/train/bike-onboard

Brandane

Legendary Member
That's what I wanted to know, thanks

I suppose it depends if you like travelling by sea or not! For some, 8 hours on a ferry might be torture. I did 3 years in the merchant navy when I was much younger though, so for me it is part of the holiday. I love getting on the ferry, having a wander round, a beer or 2 at one of the bars, and then something to eat. If you're into that sort of thing, there is entertainment on board. And IIRC a small cinema?

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-france/portsmouth-st-malo/onboard

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
How was the ferry? There's an interesting route called La Véloscénie which connects Paris with Mont St-Michel. Return via St Malo looks like an option but not sure about the ferry.

The ferry was great! I thought Brittany Ferries was the best operator we’ve been on from the UK. 100% will do it again.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
+1 for Brittany Ferries to St Malo. Though our cruising was horrific weather-wise. It's not that expensive if you subtract the cost of a hotel stop given it's overnight.

Rather long and dull in daytime the other way though, IMO.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Eurostar are not, as yet, taking fully assembled bikes on services to Paris, they need to be in a box or bag.

blackrat

Eurostar are not, as yet, taking fully assembled bikes on services to Paris, they need to be in a box or bag.

This entire business of taking a bike to start a trip and needing to utilize public transport is an expedition in itself.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
RailEurope is the site I use for planning and pricing European rail trips. As this would be entirely within France the various SNCF sites would be good too.

Paris Montparnasse to St Malo takes only about 3 hours. But that's by TGV, without bike and doesn't factor in getting to Paris Montparnasse from the airport.

I've travelled by train in France quite a bit, but never with a bike. As I understand bikes and TGVs don't mix so you'd need to travel by local trains. All the same I'd guess it would still be way easier, cheaper and less hassle than getting there from Heathrow. Maybe you could cut out central Paris by cycling from the airport to a convenient intermediate station?

bluenotebob

Veteran
Congratulations on finishing the trip @Cathryn .. I've just caught up with your adventures having lost my internet connection 15 August and only getting it back this morning.

Slovenia is a wonderful country to visit if you decide to go there next year.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Paris Montparnasse to St Malo takes only about 3 hours. But that's by TGV, without bike and doesn't factor in getting to Paris Montparnasse from the airport.
Six to 7½ hours by TER, changing at Le Mans, possibly Laval, and Rennes. Also possible from Paris St Lazare via Caen and Dol de Bretagne a couple of times a day. There's not really a useful intermediate station if arriving at CdG and I'm not sure if Orly-Versailles is a great ride.

Top Bottom