Rugby World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Really ? sounds like sour grapes to me :biggrin:

my thoughts too. Wales played extremely well againt SA in the 1st match. the victors could have easily been Wales.

subaqua

What’s the point
1547900 said:
Suspended for one match for a high tackle in the Scotland game.
complete lack of discipline and proper playing technique

FTFY. If i had played like that when i was playing 20 yrs ago i would have been battered by the coach. no excuse for it at all.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 1547899"]

What is Rob Andrew for?

[/quote]

If you find out please let us know. Appointed Director of Operations or some such to oversee the "debacle" that was a second place finish in a 6 nations and runners up in a World Cup. Removed from post rather than sacked during the re-shuffle either early this year or late last year (it's all a blur). He's now kind of Director of Operations again by default due to RFU being a complete shambles. If ever there was a group of people more concerned with protecting their own skins than doing their job, it has to be a toss up between MPs and the RFU.

For what it's worth I think Johnston should stay. I think they need to tempt Shaun Edwards away from Wales just to instil a bit of passion in wearing an England shirt if nothing else, bring Brian Ashton back in (if he'd be good enough to come) and possibly stick Ian McGeechan somewhere in the chain just to add some nous to running an international team. Watching the England rugby team at the moment is a bit like watching the football team, there's no passion, no "Playing for England means more to me than my mother". (Wayne Rooney seems to be the only one that cares in the football team) Johnston and Edwards should really be able to sort that out.

The other rugby problem is that they've been told to play with flair. England don't really do flair or at least let's not try to do it until we have the best scrum and the best lineout in the world. Also it would be good if we could be quickest to the break down. THEN we can start looking at flair.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I know threequarters (geddit :rolleyes: ) of feck all about the nuances of the game but reading both here and in the media, it seems to me that most of the criticism is being heaped upon Martin Johnson, Rob Andrew and the RFU but little or none on the players.

Surely their lack of talent must have some bearing?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I know threequarters (geddit :rolleyes: ) of feck all about the nuances of the game but reading both here and in the media, it seems to me that most of the criticism is being heaped upon Martin Johnson, Rob Andrew and the RFU but little or none on the players.

Surely their lack of talent must have some bearing?

The players are talented though, if you look at how they play for their respective clubs they are among the best we've produced. Even Wilkinson, who has come in for a fair bit of stick, is still kicking them over regularly in France.

It's to do with what they are asked to produce on the field (although just to harp on about it, a little passion would go a long way). I think playing two fly halves who have both played centre before is a good idea, I don't think you introduce it at a World Cup though!!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Players in the Premiership are coached not to lose rather than coached to win. That affects players mentalities.

Players in the England squad are clearly coached by Club England to play route one rugby, stuff it up your jumper and trundle up the middle, then chuck it oh-so-slowly wide and start over gain and have not-a-clue what to do when that doesn't work. Which at test level it doesn't because it is an UTTERLY predictably approach and the packs these days are all pretty well matched in any sort of rumble.

The only way to win these days is a) force your opponents to concede penalties and hope your kicker slots 'em or b) make the pill do the work, fast ball cleared quickly from tackle zone, ruck and maul, fast hands and runners running 'lines and angles' with support on their sholder so the oppo's defence gets bent out shape, is run ragged and the gaps then appear for the runner to run through. England then excel at running at the opposing man rather than running at the gap. For some reason that completely escapes me.

As to talent..... Ask yourself.... how many of ours would get on their teamsheet? We have had people playing in England shirts who have chosen to do so because they know they are not good enough to get picked for the All Blacks. What sort of message does that send out to the All Blacks I wonder.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm not sure it's all about fast recycling and running. You still have to compete up front otherwise the half backs don't get the time to release the backs.

There were some players playing on Saturday that definitely had passion. I would name Cueto, Foden, Moody and even Wilkinson. Passion isn't everything, and unfortunately for Wilkinson he's just slowing down a bit (which is understandable after the injuries he's had), and Moody is passionate but with little plan other than throw himself at the ball at all times.

Most of the changes I would make would be in the pack. We needed a better loosehead than Stevens, he's simply not international class and was getting pummelled in the scrums. The best two locks in that squad in my opinion were Shaw and Palmer, who never really got a game, and Easter is a good solid number 8 but there's better in the Premiership at the moment.

In the backs, I feel it is time for Wilkinson to retire, great player though he was/is. Flood would be the obvious replacement at 10. We need a better distributor of the ball at 9, but really the main change in the backs for me would be in the centres. At the moment the standard choices are all very similar - battering rams. What is needed is someone who is a bit more elusive alongside one of the direct players (maybe someone like Ollie Barkley for example).

Where England are overstocked is in the wingers. On top of Cueto & Ashton (my favourite pairing), you also have Monye, Armitage and Strettle waiting in the wings.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Look on the positive side. We won the world cup in 2003, runners up last time and this time we've proved we're one of the top eight teams in the world - it's not that disastrous is it.

smile.gif

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm not sure it's all about fast recycling and running. You still have to compete up front otherwise the half backs don't get the time to release the backs.

Compete, certainly. Dominate, even better. Stand around for long enough to make a cappuccino. No thanks.

Awful lot of sense in the rest of your post too.

subaqua

What’s the point
Look on the positive side. We won the world cup in 2003, runners up last time and this time we've proved we're one of the top eight teams in the world - it's not that disastrous is it.

smile.gif

not if you think getting worse each time is acceptable. winners runners up and runners up again would be far better.

Top Bottom