Riding a road bike over cattle grids ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apart from crossing them perpendicularly, and to support 'not changing speed or direction', it's a good idea to stop peddling and take some weight off the saddle (not standing, just take some weight off). Pedaling is more likely to make the wheels spin, especially if they're damp or cold.

Here's one not to be treated casually. It's a 10%+ upward gradient. Perfectly traversable in dry conditions with a bit of last minute pedaling effort to get the speed up but probably 'inadvisable' when damp.
https://www.google.fr/maps/@54.3766...1JbYQrkHFZzgijl-iX7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I think I'd get off for that one!

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Could you ?
Should you ?

I ask because there is a really ride near me which has a couple of cattle grids in short distance. When I used to do the ride on my MTB I happily rode over them. However since I've started on the road bike I view them with deep suspicion and dismount. I think I'm being over cautious, does anyone else come across cattle grids on their rides ?

just treat with respect and caution , its not the pair near Castle Ashby house is it ?

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Could you ?
Should you ?

I ask because there is a really ride near me which has a couple of cattle grids in short distance. When I used to do the ride on my MTB I happily rode over them. However since I've started on the road bike I view them with deep suspicion and dismount. I think I'm being over cautious, does anyone else come across cattle grids on their rides ?
Fast and straight, faster the better and the Bike will skip over rather than clatter over each bar.

Any speed is fine, I had to regularly ride over one going up a hill and that was a deer grid, they're even wider. Centre your weight on the bike, keep your grip firm but flexible and let your legs and arms take the vibration, don't lock them, hit the grid perpendicular, not at an angle, don't go over in the same track a car might take as often the road is worn just before the grid and it makes a hollow there, look at the other side, not at the grid and either roll over it or if you need to pedal, pedal evenly with some pressure, don't sway the bike from side to side.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
When scrap metal prices were high a few years back someone stole one on a quiet road I sometimes ride.
You could get past on a bike .I discovered it in daylight fortunately.

If the road is muddy or it looks in poor condition i get off and walk otherwise approach it straight on and no braking or too much power on the pedals.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Give it some welly and go for it.........................................................

D

Deleted member 1258

When scrap metal prices were high a few years back someone stole one on a quiet road I sometimes ride.
You could get past on a bike .I discovered it in daylight fortunately.

If the road is muddy or it looks in poor condition i get off and walk otherwise approach it straight on and no braking or too much power on the pedals.

There was one I came across on a ride a long time ago where two of the rails were missing and had been replaced with fence posts held in with twine. Today I have been over four of them with no problem, including the one that nearly had me a few years ago, my pace wasn't excessive I hit it at the right angle, but for some reason I came off it on opposite lock with the arse of the bike hanging out looking for a soft spot in the hedge, fortunately once off the cattle grid the bike straightened up and I could just carry on.

Top Bottom