Riding a road bike over cattle grids ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Could you ?
Should you ?

I ask because there is a really ride near me which has a couple of cattle grids in short distance. When I used to do the ride on my MTB I happily rode over them. However since I've started on the road bike I view them with deep suspicion and dismount. I think I'm being over cautious, does anyone else come across cattle grids on their rides ?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Same as any metal on the road. Take it easy, don't do anything other than aim in a straight line and you'll be fine. You really don't want to hit it at speed, particularly not the flat profile (as opposed to tubular) ones and you don't want to start turning the front wheel.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, bunny hop is best. Obviously you need to be moving fast and the exit area needs to be clear and straight.

iandg

Legendary Member
There's a nasty one a few mile out of Stornoway that is on a bend and a few that I know have come off when it's wetecause they're leaning the bike when they reach it. As others have said above keep upright and ride across in a straight line.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cross them, with care, at an angle perpendicular to the bars, and don't change speed or direction. Especially in the wet or if the bars are 'soiled' in any way.

Take care that the frame of the grid doesn't have a sharply angled lip that may give you a snakebite.

Alternatively take 'em flat out, whilst trying to bunny hop, and screaming "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeet!" It works for me.

Apart from crossing them perpendicularly, and to support 'not changing speed or direction', it's a good idea to stop peddling and take some weight off the saddle (not standing, just take some weight off). Pedaling is more likely to make the wheels spin, especially if they're damp or cold.

Here's one not to be treated casually. It's a 10%+ upward gradient. Perfectly traversable in dry conditions with a bit of last minute pedaling effort to get the speed up but probably 'inadvisable' when damp.
https://www.google.fr/maps/@54.3766...1JbYQrkHFZzgijl-iX7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

stephec

Squire
If you get enough speed you can bunny hop them. I speak from experience, but it was not planned.
This.

35mph downhill on a mountain bike and a sudden realisation of, 'oh shoot, where did that come from?'

Luckily it was one those with a slight lip so I was able to use it to clear the grid, proper skidmarks moment, and I don't mean the landing.

On a road bike - not too fast, and square on.

kiriyama

Downhill... bunny hop. Uphill. Gain a little speed before hand, keep a steady low power and keep straight.

loads round here, never had a problem.

Katherine

Guru
The first time I had to cross a cattle grid on my bike, was on a group ride. So I just copied everyone else which was as described above. It would slow the ride down too much if anyone / everyone got off and walked. They are all round the entrances to Tatton Park, so you would be holding up other groups as well. It's fine, even in the wet as long as you keep straight and don't brake.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The one at the bottom of Winnats is interesting. Straight over, no braking.

Not over-fond of that one as it's a bit narrow and relies on no tourist numpty coming the other way

But as others have said, take them at normal pace (whatever that is), as perpendicular as possible and try to lift out of the saddle a bit so the legs and arms act as shock absorbers

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I've come across some where the road surface just before the grate has a big gouge out of it, so it's like a 2-3 inch deep and long pothole with a sharp metal 'wall' at the end. Not nice and to be treated with greatest 'respect'.

My scariest moment was descending the north side of Redstone Rig at whooping-and-hollering speed :wahhey: - only to see the cattle grid down near the bottom !!!! :eek: Must have been doing 45-50kph when I went over it - had time to go "UH, OH - sheeeeeet !!!!" - and got away with it. :heat: I still have thoughts of how much of me would have been scraped off the road
smiley-shocked008.gif
- and subsequent descents have slowed right down on approach ...
smiley-scared009.gif

Top Bottom