Residents of Bath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
We were there at Easter. Had a lovely time, were made welcome everywhere. I remember we ended up in a studenty-type bar eating pizza and drinking cider (self, wife, young teen* and dog*) and felt not a bit out of place or awkward. This one - recommended

https://www.bathciderhouse.co.uk/

As is the museum of Bath Architecture. Very interesting indeed, and were one of a Northern persuasion, one's ticket allows unlimited readmission for the year. I still have mine ^_^

https://museumofbatharchitecture.org.uk/

*These party members passed on the cider, of course

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I was there many years ago and remember being fascinated by a shop selling the most beautiful and detailled dolls house furniture. I don't suppose it's still there now.

But when the barmen had to be persuaded to make cocktails for my wife and her pal , it seemed too much bother ! Lad was just plain rude ! Same with the waiter in Millar and Carter , couldn’t be less interested in taking their order if he had tried !

This story has some weird nuances in the narration .. were you there, MrGrumpy?
________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, I find Bath a very pleasant place to stroll around for a few hours. There's a great pub by the river (on the B-B bike path) which is quieter than the town centre and has done us great breakfasts/lunches.
And FAR more importantly, there is the nicest bookshop I can remember in this hemisphere:
https://mrbsemporium.com/

blackrat

The best place to live is somewhere no one wants to live, that way you never see any tourists.
I have to add a little anecdote here:
In an explorer meeting (America) someone giving a talk on her travels to the Far East said she and her buddy were walking past a house in Bejing with some women sitting on a porch and the travellers decided to take photos of the women who became quite annoyed. The travellers complained how rude the Chinese women were.
Travellers seem to look on locals as part of the photo op scenery.

Slick

Guru
The best place to live is somewhere no one wants to live, that way you never see any tourists.
I have to add a little anecdote here:
In an explorer meeting (America) someone giving a talk on her travels to the Far East said she and her buddy were walking past a house in Bejing with some women sitting on a porch and the travellers decided to take photos of the women who became quite annoyed. The travellers complained how rude the Chinese women were.
Travellers seem to look on locals as part of the photo op scenery.

Mmm, how many times have you heard, great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there?

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
This story has some weird nuances in the narration .. were you there, MrGrumpy?
________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, I find Bath a very pleasant place to stroll around for a few hours. There's a great pub by the river (on the B-B bike path) which is quieter than the town centre and has done us great breakfasts/lunches.
And FAR more importantly, there is the nicest bookshop I can remember in this hemisphere:
https://mrbsemporium.com/

Nope I wasn’t there and my moniker is no resemblance to me in real life , well not all the time :whistle: .

The Mrs has come to the conclusion that as far as England is concerned , south of Yorkshire your just grumpy :laugh:

Just a bit of bad luck i guess?
Been visiting since the early 90s as a uni mate lived there. Recently been a good deal as we are building apartments and student digs there. Always stay over and always enjoy it.
Not much different to York or Chester imo, nowt to do with north and south.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I can sympathise with the residents who are fed up with the entitled crowds as I know just how they feel.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Bath can get quite touristy, especially to Roman Baths, Pulteney Bridge etc, which in turn means spending a wad of cash. Its pleasant enough to spend a sunny afternoon wandering around. I live on the edge of Bristol and Bath is easily within cycling range at on 8 miles but I've not been since the pandemic started....4 years ago!. The nearest I get is the Bird in Hand pub which backs directly onto the B2B railway path with a handy flight of steps down. Nice beer & food, I tend not to get much farther after a visit!.

I live on the edge of Bristol and Bath is easily within cycling range at on 8 miles but I've not been since the pandemic started....4 years ago!. The nearest I get is the Bird in Hand pub which backs directly onto the B2B railway path with a handy flight of steps down. Nice beer & food, I tend not to get much farther after a visit!.

<googles... > The one in Saltford? that's 3 miles from Bath!!!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
<googles... > The one in Saltford? that's 3 miles from Bath!!!

When I'm full of nosh and a couple of pints....can't be *rsed :laugh:. Just about enough energy to get home....usually including several pee-stops on the way. I'll do it one day, haven't been in the two tunnels for ages.

Top Bottom