Recommend me a new folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveParry

Guru
The problem I have with folders is carrying them. 12-14 Kg on one arm gets old VERY quickly if you're trying to get through a large rail station etc. I wondered if anyone can confirm if all Dahon and Tern 20" wheel models can be wheeled along by holding the saddle? I think I could do this with my previous Birdy but not sure about these makes.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not a problem for me carrying them, although I eat 3 weetabix for supper.

abcd efg

Über Member
The problem I have with folders is carrying them. 12-14 Kg on one arm gets old VERY quickly if you're trying to get through a large rail station etc. I wondered if anyone can confirm if all Dahon and Tern 20" wheel models can be wheeled along by holding the saddle? I think I could do this with my previous Birdy but not sure about these makes.

I don't know about the Dahons and Terns but the Airnimal Joey with 24in wheels can very easily be wheeled along a railway platform and that it takes just a minute or two to fold it to that point.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member

I don't commute by train, but when I tour I just keep my bike unfolded until I'm on the platform and as close to the train door as I can get before folding it. The Tern I tried didn't hold together very well. Not sure about wheeling it folded.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I never carry my Brompton anywhere folded. I ride or wheel it to wherever I'm going and then lift it in or out of bus/train/front door. Only very occasionally you might come across an old station which hasn't been modified for disabled access and there are only stairs between platforms - Manors in Newcastle is one.

tds101

I got some LitePro front mech adapters for Brompton from AliExpress, but one did not stay long, and the other never got mounted, as they did not meet the standards I want to have on a bike. I think I even tried to improve them, but it ended up being in vain. Maybe I got some chainring, but it must still bein a storage box. Is the LitePro "Brompton" consistent with what you usually get on AliExpress? Sorry to be blunt.

I honestly have no experience with anything Brompton, but I highly doubt it meets the specs of a real Brommie. I'm waiting for the release of the (I hope) 20" wheeled Brompton to possibly, finally, HOPEFULLY, join the club. Pray for me! 🙏🙏🙏

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have been waiting for the new Brompton G Line to come out, but the price is too much for me. So, I have started looking elsewhere. However, I am tall 6'4" with size 12 feet. Can anyone confirm if an Intercity 9 (or even 8) would be a good match? @Drago IIRC you had/have one?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm about half an inch shorter than you, size 11, 35" inside leg and do OK on the wonderfully flighty Disc9. It's the favourite bike on my fleet and one of only three that survived a recent cull.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm about half an inch shorter than you, size 11, 35" inside leg and do OK on the wonderfully flighty Disc9. It's the favourite bike on my fleet and one of only three that survived a recent cull.

Thanks, I assume you have seatpost at full extension?

Top Bottom