Recommend me a new folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The difference in ride between a Tern and a Brompton is chalk and cheese.
In my experience of owning both a Tern (D9) and a Brompton, the Tern wins hands down. They feel much more like a bigger bike, they roll better, are quicker and are more comfortable. They also look less like a clown bike :laugh:
Where the Brompton does win though is the fold, but that's all
All my own humble opinion of course.

A Tern with hub gears and belt drive would be a fantastic purchase.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I must admit, the Tern looks more promising to me. Like you say, the belt drive and hub combo should make for pretty much maintenance-free travelling.

Good luck making that decision.

On a second visit I tried putting the folded bikes in our car and the Tern had a noticeably bigger footprint which I think is going to rule it out sadly for what I need. It's a nice bike though and I'd recommend it. I'm seriously thinking about the Rohloff version of the Birdy while I could save a considerable amount through C2W. The ease of maintenance is very appealing as I'm not one to fettle and just want to get out and ride. It's a scary amount of money though.

Fastpedaller

Über Member
My opinion (and of course, that's all it is) would be to avoid a belt drive - a chain drive is so much more efficient. I own a Brompton (and also had one years ago which I should never have sold), but the Birdy does look to be a good alternative and a very clever design (albeit possibly much influenced by the Brompton?)

DaddyPaddey

Über Member
My chum has 2 Bromptons, 2 Moultons, an old Dahon folder, a Joey [plus a Spa Audax 700c and Pino]. He has done a lot of touring and we have just been up to Texel and back. He rode the Brompton with electric assist and said it was extremely comfortable [not as comfy as my 'bent though]. The Moultons score due to their clever suspension and way of having the luggage low. I used one on a Tour in France, pre bent riding days, and did a couple of Audax's on it. Also took it on a London to Brighton and had no issues riding up Ditchling

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
My chum has 2 Bromptons, 2 Moultons, an old Dahon folder, a Joey [plus a Spa Audax 700c and Pino]. He has done a lot of touring and we have just been up to Texel and back. He rode the Brompton with electric assist and said it was extremely comfortable [not as comfy as my 'bent though]. The Moultons score due to their clever suspension and way of having the luggage low. I used one on a Tour in France, pre bent riding days, and did a couple of Audax's on it. Also took it on a London to Brighton and had no issues riding up Ditchling

I don't fancy a Moulton as they are more collapsible than foldable. I couldn't believe how much you could spend on one. £20,000 anyone :ohmy:. But they also went much cheaper than I expected.

Do you know why he chose the Brompton over the Joey for this tour?

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
My opinion (and of course, that's all it is) would be to avoid a belt drive - a chain drive is so much more efficient. I own a Brompton (and also had one years ago which I should never have sold), but the Birdy does look to be a good alternative and a very clever design (albeit possibly much influenced by the Brompton?)
Thanks the guy in the bike shop said the belt drives weren't quite as efficient but it felt at least as fast as the Birdies.

DaddyPaddey

Über Member
I don't fancy a Moulton as they are more collapsible than foldable. I couldn't believe how much you could spend on one. £20,000 anyone :ohmy:. But they also went much cheaper than I expected.

Do you know why he chose the Brompton over the Joey for this tour?

Because a] he has found the Brommie so pleasant to ride and b] it has eleccy power assist which the Joey doesn't

tds101

Because a] he has found the Brommie so pleasant to ride and b] it has eleccy power assist which the Joey doesn't

Electric assist is amazing when becoming tired, or for hills and such. I have a few folders, and I'm also the owner of 2 ebikes. I want to convert one of the human powered bikes to e-assist, so I can use it for a bit of touring here in the USA. The ebikes I have are fine, but a dedicated folding bike wins for travel IMO. The bike I'm planning on modding is an Origami Bull. The weight limit is stated to be 300LBS, but with gear is actually 360LBS. It's built like a rock.

Attachments

• img_20231027_173830090_hdr_df8f4e93ee410d57e81c8e3c5e6743e83425cd9e.jpg
    img_20231027_173830090_hdr_df8f4e93ee410d57e81c8e3c5e6743e83425cd9e.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 15

SteveParry

Guru
Electric assist is amazing when becoming tired, or for hills and such. I have a few folders, and I'm also the owner of 2 ebikes. I want to convert one of the human powered bikes to e-assist, so I can use it for a bit of touring here in the USA. The ebikes I have are fine, but a dedicated folding bike wins for travel IMO. The bike I'm planning on modding is an Origami Bull. The weight limit is stated to be 300LBS, but with gear is actually 360LBS. It's built like a rock.

That looks exactly like a Dahon - same design, same folding hinge - with different branding.

SteveParry

Guru
Just for my two pennorth; have you tried the Dahon with bigger wheels; I think 26"? I suppose it might be too big for the boot when folded though. I used to have a Birdy with the older straight frame rather than the current, elegant curved design. It felt OK to ride until lifting one hand to signal a turn, then it felt very twitchy. I put this down to the 20" wheels. I think the suspension rubber at back and parallelogram front help the ride a lot. I notice few other folders (Brompton and I think Bike Friday aside) have suspension. I sold the Birdy some years ago.

I'd read about the Joey having 24" wheels and (despite no suspension) the ride being similar to a normal frame. I bought a lightly used one and like the ride a lot - no twitching at all when making hand signals. Perhaps the newer Birdy frame design has solved the twitchiness - can anyone describe what it feels like when lifting one hand to signal? I'm currently looking for a very cheap used Dahon or Tern to use as a commuter. I see used Dahon's going for about £100 so it seems worth trying one out. If I don't like it I can sell it on and not lose much.

tds101

That looks exactly like a Dahon - same design, same folding hinge - with different branding.

There are tons of different brands of folding bikes that fold in this manner nowadays. Dahon isn't exclusive to it. I've had Dahon (P8, Mariner i7, Curve), Tern (similar kind of fold on my Tern Joe P24 26"), Downtube (Mini, 16", Sturmey-Archer 8 speed), LitePro (I own a 16" folder from them), Oyama CX16D that I own as well), and multiple others. Dahon isn't the only game in town...

There are tons of different brands of folding bikes that fold in this manner nowadays. Dahon isn't exclusive to it. I've had Dahon (P8, Mariner i7, Curve), Tern (similar kind of fold on my Tern Joe P24 26"), Downtube (Mini, 16", Sturmey-Archer 8 speed), LitePro (I own a 16" folder from them), Oyama CX16D that I own as well), and multiple others. Dahon isn't the only game in town...

Is the Litepro a trifold version - if so, what's your opinion of it ?

u_i

Über Member
LitePro makes bifold AND trifold BrompNots. I own a bifold, and I'd purchase a Brompton before I'd test the trifold waters with a knockoff... My bike is the LitePro LP1609 bifold... https://liteprobicycle.com/collecti...on-9-speed-bicycle-vehicle-oil-disc-brake-305

I got some LitePro front mech adapters for Brompton from AliExpress, but one did not stay long, and the other never got mounted, as they did not meet the standards I want to have on a bike. I think I even tried to improve them, but it ended up being in vain. Maybe I got some chainring, but it must still bein a storage box. Is the LitePro "Brompton" consistent with what you usually get on AliExpress? Sorry to be blunt.

Top Bottom