Rear derailleur...which screw to adjust?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

Shimano tiagra rear derailleur. On small chainring and smallest/highest gear at back (ok, I rarely use this combination), the chain rubs against the mech body.

Which screw needs adjusting so there's some clearance between chain and mech? Thanks.

P.s
Gears indexing seems reasonable enough.

IMG_20240905_211251.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
There is never a need to go on those two, it puts to much bend in the chain for one thing.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Yeah, shorter chain, not screw adjustment required.

But check big/big is OK before riding.

Big-to-big is fine.

I purposely made the new chain 2 links longer than the previous one, because the new cassette had 2 lower gears than the previous cassette. Maybe 1 extra link would've sufficed.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Maybe 1 extra link

It’s always an even number because of the alternating inner and outer plates.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There is never a need to go on those two, it puts to much bend in the chain for one thing.

I used to inadvertently use that combo when coming home from work, Glenfield Rd. starts off pretty steep but then flattens off gradually until after a mile it's level but being a bit tired after a 12hr nightshift I'd just click another gear on at the back until the 'clattering' started then it was a 'whoops' and select the middle cog moment. Bike didn't seem to mind too much but then it's only a 3x7 set up on the old Ridgeback (52-42-30 with a 13-28 on the back)

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I always set the chain length small cog to small chain ring, it should be tight enough to just tension the derailleur, that chain looks too long.

Thing is, if I remove a paired link, is there a risk the chain will become too short and cause damage, like @roubaixtuesday says?

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Thing is, if I remove a paired link, is there a risk the chain will become too short and cause damage, like @roubaixtuesday says?

Firstly I would check how tight it is on the large chain ring to large cog, also check how stretched the rear mech is, if there is some capacity, then I would shorten the chain slightly. It won’t need much, just enough to stop it running on the jockey wheel.

richardfm

Veteran
Top Bottom